DCR - MWRA Memorandum of Understanding
There is well established working relationship between DCR and the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority (MWRA). MWRA’s ratepayers entirely fund the Office of Watershed Management’s annual $30 million budget, including costs associated with land acquisition and payments in lieu of taxes . The terms of this relationship are defined in a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the two agencies. The latest version of this MOU, developed soon after the creation of DCR, was signed into effect in April, 2004. A key provision of the updated MOU is the requirement for an annual work plan and budget to detail all of the Office of Watershed Management’s functions.
The Water Supply Protection Trust
The legislature further enhanced the ability of the Office of Watershed Management to maintain this drinking water supply by establishing a Water Supply Protection Trust, created by Chapter 149 of the Acts of 2004, s. 27, and written into the general laws at MGL c. 10, § 75. The trust provides a more efficient mechanism for MWRA’s funding of the Office of Watershed Management. The Trust has also allowed the Office of Watershed Management to fill a wide range of critical positions that were previously frozen due to state budget constraints.
Water Supply Protection Trust Members
The Water Supply Protection Trust has a five person board of trustees responsible for approving the Office of Watershed Management Annual Work Plan and Budget each spring for the following fiscal year beginning in July. The members of the board of trustees are:
1. Kathleen Theoharides, Secretary of the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs represented by Acting Director of Water Policy Vandana Rao, Ph.D.
2. Fred Laskey, Executive Director of the MWRA.
3. William Meehan, representative jointly selected by the North Worcester County Quabbin Anglers Association, Inc. and the Quabbin Fishermen's Association, Inc.
4. Fred Heyes, representative from the Swift River Valley Historical Society.
5. Louis M. Taverna, P.E., Chairman of the MWRA Advisory Board.
Additional Resources for
- June 8, 2020
- March 11, 2020 - CANCELLED
- December 4, 2019
Rescheduled to January 10, 2020