Many home fires happen during the holiday season between Thanksgiving and New Years. Make fire safety part of your celebrations and stay safe. Read our Winter Holiday Safety pamphlet in English, Spanish, or Portuguese. Then learn about these important winter safety tips in more detail:
- Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Working alarms save lives.
- Home escape plans. Make and practice your plan and share it with guests.
- Cooking. Check out our cooking safety tips because cooking is a leading cause of home fires.
- Candles. More candle fires happen in December than at any other time. Learn about candle safety.
- Electrical fire safety. Never plug one extension cord into another. Cords are for temporary use only.
- Space heaters. Keep space heaters three feet away from anything that can burn.
- Christmas tree care. Water daily, place away from sources of heat and fire, dispose of them promptly.
- Matches and lighters. Keep matches and lighters out of the sight or reach of children.
- Twas the Night for Fire Safety. Read this poem about Christmas fire safety.