Log in links for this page
Apply for APRN authorization
Contact for Apply for APRN authorization
Board of Registration in Nursing
The Details of Apply for APRN authorization
What you need for Apply for APRN authorization
Special alert during COVID-19 public health emergency:
Pursuant to the Order of the Commissioner of Public Health, issued March 26, 2020, and related guidance, APRNs with more than 2 years’ supervised practice experience or its equivalent 1) no longer require prescriptive supervision from a physician during the State of Emergency and 2) will automatically be issued a Massachusetts Controlled Substance Registration (MCSR) upon authorization from the Board of Registration in Nursing (BORN) to engage in the advanced practice of nursing (APRNs). The MCSR is active commensurate with the completion of registration with BORN.
Do not attempt to register for an MCSR or amend an active MCSR at this time. The prescriptive authority of your new or current MCSR is now determined by the conditions set forth in the Order of the Commissioner authorizing independent practice of Advanced Practice Registered Nurses issued on March 26, 2020.
APRNs with less than 2 year’s supervised practice experience or its equivalent who currently hold an MCSR need make no changes or applications. APRNs with less than 2 year’s supervised practice experience or its equivalent who do not yet hold an MCSR, should apply for an MCSR in the ordinary course.
You must provide proof of:
- Current registered nurse (RN) licensure
- Official final transcript from your education program
- The official transcript must state that the education program prepared you for practice as an APRN in the specific clinical category you are applying for (CNP, CNM, CRNA, PCNS, CNS)
- Proof of graduate level coursework, including:
- Advanced physical assessment
- Current APRN certification from a board approved national certification organization
- Good Moral Character, as defined by Massachusetts state law
Fees for Apply for APRN authorization
|APRN authorization fee||$150||per application|
How to apply Apply for APRN authorization
Professional Credential Services (PCS) processes Advanced Practice Registered Nurse authorization applications for the Board. To apply for Board authorization:
- Complete the Massachusetts APRN Authorization Application online
- Request official transcript(s) from your educational program(s)
- Request LPN, RN, or APRN verification from any and all jurisdictions that you hold or have ever held a nursing license
Request your transcript and verification documents to be sent to an agent at the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing. Our agent must receive your documents from the primary source.
You can contact Professional Credential Services, Inc. toll-free at (877) 887-9727.
More info for Apply for APRN authorization
Once we receive all of the required documents, we will examine them to make sure you supplied all necessary information.
We may require you to request additional written documentation from your educational program if your transcript does not reflect the Board’s educational requirements. We will contact you if this is the case.