More about:

Apply for APRN prescriptive authority

Once you obtain your APRN authorization from the Board of Registration in Nursing, you may apply for prescriptive practice. This allows you to prescribe as a part of your overall practice.

Board of Registration in Nursing

The Details

What you need

You must have Board authorization as a CNP, CRNA, CNM or PCNS to apply for prescriptive authority. CNS are not allowed by Massachusetts law to register for prescriptive authority.

Before you can prescribe, you must:

How to apply

  1. Complete the MA Controlled Substance Registration application.
  2. Complete the Federal Drug Enforcement Administration application
  1. Call Department of Public Health Bureau of Health Professions Licensure Drug Control Program at (617) 973-0949 to request a Massachusetts Controlled Substances Registration (MCSR) application.
  2. Call Drug Enforcement Administration at (888) 272-5174 to request an application.



239 Causeway St., Suite 500, 5th Floor, Boston, MA 02114


Alternate (617) 973-0900


(617) 973-0984


Tell us what you think