Apply for APRN prescriptive authority
Contact for Apply for APRN prescriptive authority
Board of Registration in Nursing
The Details of Apply for APRN prescriptive authority
What you need for Apply for APRN prescriptive authority
You must have Board authorization as a certified nurse practitioner (CNP), certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA), certified nurse midwife (CNM), or pediatric clinical nurse specialist (PCNS) to apply for prescriptive authority. Clinical nurse specialists (CNSs) are not allowed by Massachusetts law to register for prescriptive authority.
Before you can prescribe, you must:
- Register for the Massachusetts Controlled Substances Registration (MCSR)
- Establish written prescriptive practice guidelines with a supervising physician. You will be asked to provide this information when applying for MCSR.
- CNM are not required to establish prescriptive practice guidelines with a physician
- Learn more about prescriptive practice guidelines and requirements
- Enroll in Massachusetts Prescription Monitoring Program (MassPAT) through the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) Drug Control Program
- Complete education required by Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 94C, Section 18(e)
- Apply for Drug Enforcement Administration registration
How to apply Apply for APRN prescriptive authority
- Call Department of Public Health Bureau of Health Professions Licensure Drug Control Program at (617) 973-0949 to request a Massachusetts Controlled Substances Registration (MCSR) application.
- Call Drug Enforcement Administration at (888) 272-5174 to request an application.