More about:

File a municipal light plant financial and operating annual return with the DPU

If you are a municipal light plant operating in Massachusetts, you will find information on how to file an annual return with the DPU on this page

Annual Returns

The Details

What you need

  1. A complete annual return and all supplements, signed and sworn by the mayor, or by the majority of the selectmen or municipal light board, and by the manager that is notarized or otherwise sworn in electronic format and by mail.  
  2. A paper and electronic copy of all the filing requirements. Please note that electronic copies must be submitted in Microsoft Excel or be converted to a searchable Adobe pdf document.

The form for the annual return to be used by municipal light plants is outlined in 220 CMR 79.02.  A submitted annual return should include:

  1. Municipal light plant annual return, including the names of and salaries paid to all salaried officers. 
  2. All annual financial or statistical reports regularly prepared and distributed.

Annual returns must be submitted by March 31st each year, for the previous calendar year ending December 31st. Failure to comply may result in the assessment of penalties.  G.L. c. 164,  § 63

How to file

All municipal light plants must submit electronic versions of their annual returns to the DPU at:


Mark D. Marini, Department Secretary
Department of Public Utilities
One South Station
Boston, Massachusetts, 02110

Kevin Brannelly
Director of the Rates and Revenue Requirements Division
Department of Public Utilities
One South Station
Boston, Massachusetts, 02110

More info

Any requests for extensions of filing annual returns should be submitted to Kevin Brannelly, the Director of Rates and Revenue Requirements, at and at



Department of Public Utilities, 1 South Station, 5th floor, Boston, MA 02110
Kevin Brannelly


Tell us what you think