Log in links for this page

Get Child Care and Transportation Help

These services are available to support you every step of the way in your transition to employment.

The Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) helps to meet the child care and transportation needs of low-income families so that children can get a safe start and parents can get where they need to go.

Child care

TAFDC Clients: DTA provides child care to parents and caregivers who work or participate in education, training or employment-related activities.

Interested? Talk to your case manager or a local Full Engagement Worker to find out more.  

SNAP Clients: DTA provides child care to parents and caregivers who receive SNAP and participate in a SNAP Path to Work program.

Interested? Visit www.snappathtowork.org to find a program. Already enrolled? Contact a DTA employment and training specialist at 888-483-0255.


How it works:

  1. DTA will give you a child care referral for any eligible child under age 13 and send it to the Child Care Resource and Referral (CCRR) agency that serves your city/town
  2. You will contact the CCRR agency to make an appointment
  3. The agency will explain the types of available child care and give you a list of child care providers with openings, or arrange for child care at home or with a relative
  4. After the child care provider has been contacted and child care arrangements are finalized, the agency will give you a voucher for the child care

You can learn more about child care from DTA staff and the Child Care Fact Sheet. 

Important: You may qualify for child care assistance even if you are not eligible from DTA.  Click here to learn more: Early Education and Care Financial Assistance for Families | Mass.gov.

Additional Resources


TAFDC Clients: You can get $80 each month to help cover the cost of getting to and from work, approved work activities, and child care programs. You don't have to request it. We will give it to you automatically on your EBT card while you participate in an activity or work.

SNAP-only Clients: If you participate in the SNAP Path to Work program you may qualify for transportation support to help cover the cost of getting to and from training activity. Let your training provider know if you need transportation help. The amount you receive will depend on the county in which you live and will be put on your EBT card.

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.