This program is part of the Community One Stop for Growth, a single application portal and collaborative review process of community and economic development grant programs that make targeted investments based on a Development Continuum. This process will streamline the experience for the applicant and better coordinate programs and staff on engagement and grant making. It will also reorient the State from a passive reviewer of funding requests to an active partner in economic development strategy, priories, and investment. Access to this program is now exclusively available through the One Stop. Learn more about the One Stop
To learn more about the Rapid Recovery Plan (RRP) Program, please visit the program website.
Questions: Send an email to Emmy Hahn at email@example.com
The primary mission of the MDI is to make downtown revitalization an integral part of community development in cities and towns across the Commonwealth. MDI's guiding principles are that the most effective approach to downtown revitalization is a holistic one; that it addresses economic and community development needs; and that it provides a framework of interrelated activities that promote positive change in a downtown to keep it healthy and prosperous.
Successful downtown revitalization is comprehensive and includes a well-balanced community strategy composed of seven downtown building blocks:
* Encouraging Community Involvement & Ownership;
* Preserving & Enhancing Downtown Character;
* Ensuring Economic Vitality;
* Promoting Downtown Assets;
* Getting Into & Around Downtown;
* Living Downtown; and,
* Keeping Downtown Safe.
Currently, MDI provides assistance through the following components:
- Desktop Technical Assistance
- Ongoing technical assistance on downtown-related issues is provided by staff via telephone, fax, and written materials based on requests from communities as well as referrals from DHCD staff. Recent requests have included how to develop business recruitment programs, upper story spaces, and downtown organizational bylaws.
- Download the Guidelines for the MDI Technical Assistance program.
FY24 MA Downtown Initiative Program Guidelines
FY24 One Stop Full Application - MA Downtown Initiative
Education and Training
MDI is charged with development of downtown education and training opportunities that meet the needs of communities at various stages of downtown revitalization. A series of workshops is held each year on topics such as business recruitment and retention, design issues, creating a business improvement district, or upper-story housing.
Eligibility requirements vary among program components and restrictions may apply.
To access the application for MDI please use the Community One Stop application which can be found at www.mass.gov/onestop
Technical Assistance Grantees
Economics of Downtown:
Mixed Use Development:
Small Business Support:
Contact for Massachusetts Downtown Initiative (MDI)
M-F 9 a.m.-5 p.m.