Updated guidance on holding meetings pursuant to the Act Extending Certain COVID-19 Measures, Mass. Attorney General, regarding St. 2022, c.107, which extended the provisions of COVID-19 Order #1, July 18, 2022.
Citizen's Guide to Town Meetings, Secretary of the Commonwealth (2008)
"This booklet outlines the forms and procedures used in Massachusetts Town Meetings."
Rules of procedure
Most Massachusetts town meetings use one or both of the following:
Roberts Rules of Order
- Official site with ordering information as well as frequently asked questions about the rules
- 1915 edition online, Bartleby
- Print source from our law libraries
- Roberts Rules in plain English (print)
"Abbreviated essential parliamentary rules condensed from Robert's Rules of order newly revised."
- Roberts Rules of Order in the courts (print) provides citations to court cases about the rules
Town Meeting Time
- About town meeting, Lexington
- A nice explanation of how a representative town meeting works in one town
- Guide to citizens' petitions for town meetings, by James Lampke, Hull Town Counsel, 2013.
A brief guide "intended to present in layman’s terms the process for citizens to petition Town Meeting."
- Information about the Town Meeting process, Concord. An introduction to the open town meeting process in one town
|Last updated:||September 23, 2022|