Citizen's Guide to Town Meetings, Secretary of the Commonwealth
"This booklet outlines the forms and procedures used in Massachusetts Town Meetings."
St. 2020, c. 53, §§ 2-4 Suspends some town meeting requirements during COVID-19
Massachusetts Constitution, Amendment LXXXIX
Draws the distinction between cities and towns, and allows for home-rule charters
MGL c.39 Municipal Government: City Government and Town Meetings
MGL c.43A Standard Form of Representative Town Meeting Government
Rules of procedure
Most Massachusetts town meetings use one or both of the following:
Roberts Rules of Order
- Official site with ordering information as well as frequently asked questions about the rules
- 1915 edition online, Bartleby
- Print source from our law libraries
- Roberts Rules in Plain English (print)
"Abbreviated essential parliamentary rules condensed from Robert's Rules of order newly revised."
- Roberts Rules of Order in the Courts (print) provides citations to court cases about the rules
Town Meeting Time
- About Town Meeting, Lexington
- A nice explanation of how a representative town meeting works in one town
- Understanding Town Meeting, Andover
- An introduction to the open town meeting process in one town
- Guide to Citizens' Petitions for Town Meetings, by James Lampke, Hull Town Counsel, 2013.
A brief guide "intended to present in layman’s terms the process for citizens to petition Town Meeting."
|Last updated:||July 13, 2020|