The DPU, through its Pipeline Safety Division, investigates all pipeline incidents that involve any of the following:
- a release of gas that results in death or injury requiring in-patient hospitalization;
- a release of gas that results in property damage of $50,000 or more;
- a release of gas that results in an unintentional estimated gas loss of three million cubic feet or more;
- an emergency shutdown of a liquefied natural gas facility or an underground natural gas storage facility; or
- any other event that is significant in the judgment of the pipeline operator.
On this page are the investigation reports for incidents that occurred between 2001 and the present. No such incidents have occurred in Massachusetts since 2014. For more information on what qualifies as an incident pursuant to the federal pipeline safety code, see 49 C.F.R. section 191.3.
2011-2015 Incident Reports
2006-2010 Incident Reports
2001-2005 Incident Reports
Boston, MA 02110