This week's report
View the current weekly flu report.
Highlights from this week’s report:
- There is still time to get a flu shot to ensure you are protected as flu activity continues.
- Influenza-like illness activity in Massachusetts has declined over recent weeks, but remains elevated.
- Geographic spread is widespread: ILI activity remains elevated in all regions of Massachusetts except the West. Influenza laboratory confirmations remain elevated in all regions of the state.
- Influenza-associated hospitalizations in Massachusetts have declined since February.
- The number of influenza positive laboratory tests reported to MDPH decreased this week by 51.2% compared to last week.
- For the 2018-2019 season to date, the predominant influenza strain is A/2009 H1N1; however, over recent weeks influenza B has become more common than influenza A.
- All influenza strains that have been characterized in Massachusetts this season to date are covered by the current influenza vaccine.
- No resistance to antiviral medications has been detected this season.
- Nationally, flu activity is decreasing, consistent with typical levels of activity at this time of year.
- Additional data are available upon request and at www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly.
|Date published:||May 10, 2019|