- This page, Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children, is offered by
- Bureau of Public Health Hospitals
- Department of Public Health
Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children
Details of Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children
Overview of Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children
Hours for Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Holiday visiting hours are 11 a.m.-8 p.m. All visitors must to enter the PRHC Campus via the Main Entrance and sign in at the Security Station.
Parking at Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children
On-site parking is available.
Services at Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children
- Comprehensive 24/7 Nursing Care
- Therapeutic services including speech and language, occupational, physical, and recreational therapies
- Interdisciplinary transitional programming to advance independent living skills, community integration, and inclusion
- On-site Special Education in Institutional Settings program (SEIS) operated by the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) for patients under the age of 22
- Rehabilitation Engineering to provide youth with adapted equipment and assistive technology services. This includes custom design and fabrication to empower youth to live as independently as possible.
Criteria for admission to PRHC requires medical management as defined by 130 CMR 435.409 (Level-of-Care Criteria for Members in Chronic Disease and Public Health Hospitals) and includes:
- Need for ongoing medical intervention and care
- Ability to benefit from rehabilitation services
- Difficulties with activities of daily living (ADL)
- Aphasia: receptive, expressive, or both
- Dysarthria or apraxia (motor speech difficulties)
- Perceptual impairment affecting safety and/or reasonable functioning
- Infectious disease
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation
- Behavioral and mental health services
- Complementary and alternative medicine
- Therapeutic horseback riding
- Wheelchair basketball
- Track and field
- Power soccer
- Creative arts
- Water sports
- Sled hockey
- Weight lifting, bowling
- Performing arts
PRHC hosts the New England Regional Wheelchair Championships each June for over 125 participating athletes.
The PRHC Summer Program (7 weeks) provides day services for children, youth, and young adults from across the Commonwealth. The Program offers comprehensive nursing care, therapeutic services, and access to all the PRHC recreational programs.
More info for Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children
The Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children, formerly the Massachusetts Hospital School, is a Joint Commission (TJC) accredited, pediatric chronic care hospital. PRHC operates under the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH).
- Pappas HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices - PDF
- Pappas HIPAA Notice of Privacy Practices - DOC
- PRHC Joint Commission Accreditation awarded on Feb 2017 - DOC
Watch: Experience the Pappas Rehabilitation Hospital for Children. This video tribute is written by Emmy award winner Graham Chedd & Naomi Chedd and narrated by Hollywood legend Alan Alda.