- This page, Tewksbury Hospital, is offered by
- Bureau of Public Health Hospitals
Details of Tewksbury Hospital
Overview of Tewksbury Hospital
Hours for Tewksbury Hospital
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
General visiting hours for Medical Service
Sunday - Saturday:
10:00 am-8:00 pm
Suggested visiting hours for Psychiatric Service
Monday - Friday:
1:00 pm-4:00 pm, 6:00 pm-8:00 pm
Information about visiting hours
More restrictive visitation policies may be in effect, so we advise you to call first. Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays: Psychiatric Service visiting hours are from 9:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m., and 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
Parking at Tewksbury Hospital
Services at Tewksbury Hospital
For inquires regarding admissions, contact the Admissions Office at (978) 851-7321, ext. 2527.
Clinical services provided
Tewksbury Hospital offers a broad range of services including a physician on site at all times, around-the-clock nursing care, rehabilitation services including physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy, psychology services, social services, nutritional services, and an on-site dialysis clinic.
Specialized services and programs provided
(No emergency services)
Specific offerings at Tewksbury Hospital include the following:
- Neurologic Rehabilitation Unit assists patients to relearn essential daily functions; an active skilled rehabilitation program; and special adaptive equipment to support the functional challenges of brain injury
- Provision of Medical Services to adults with Developmental disabilities
- Medically Ill, Mentally Ill (MIMI); a multidisciplinary staff provides psychiatric, psychological, and neurobehavioral care to patients with both significant mental health issues and complex medical needs
- Behavioral Challenges
- Department of Corrections backgrounds
- Huntington’s Disease (HD) Program – short term and long term inpatient services are provided to patients who present at various stages.
- Alzheimer’s and other causes of dementia
- Substance use disorder and High Risk Services to high risk populations which include IV therapy, behavioral management, substance use disorder counseling and palliative care
- A six-bay Hemodialysis Unit to insure continuity of care and comfort within a known environment
- Wound Care, Dysphasia management and pain management
- Psychiatric Services for Intermediate Care as well as a Rehabilitation Center under the auspices of the Department of Mental Health
Tewksbury Hospital provides services to individuals who are not able to receive services in other settings. The average patient admitted has been denied placement by 3 or more health care facilities because of behavioral issues and/or due to a high risk history which necessitates increased resources to provide a safe environment.
Accessibility at Tewksbury Hospital
Tewksbury Hospital is accessible via public transportation. See Directions and Public Transportation to Tewksbury Hospital (PDF).
More info for Tewksbury Hospital
Psychology services pre-doctoral internship in clinical and counseling psychology
- Doctoral Internship in Clinical Psychology Training Brochure – 2023-2024 (PDF)
- Doctoral Internship in Clinical Psychology Training Brochure – 2023-2024 (DOCX)
Department of Mental Health Adult Clinical Psychology Practicum
- Tewksbury Hospital Psychology Practicum Brochure – 2022 (PDF)
- Tewksbury Hospital Psychology Practicum Brochure – 2022 (DOCX)
Public water supply
- Tewksbury Hospital Public Water Supply 2021 Consumer Confidence Report (PDF) l (DOCX)
- Tewksbury Hospital Public Water Supply 2019 Consumer Confidence Report (PDF) l (DOCX)
- Tewksbury Hospital Public Water Supply 2018 Consumer Confidence Report (PDF) | (DOCX)
Tewksbury Hospital is located on a 700 acre parcel that hosts a thriving campus of community programs with multiple state agencies and vendor programs, including:
5 state agencies
- Department of Public Health
- Northeast Regional Offices
- State Office of Pharmacy Services
- Department of Mental Health Regional Offices
- MassHealth Department of Medical Assistance
- Department of Public Safety
- Mass Emergency Management Agency (MEMA)
9 contracted clinical programs
- CAB Transitions: Long term sober safe environment for men in recovery
- Sheehan Program: Long term residential home for women with mental illness and substance use disorder
- Hart House: Recovery Home for Opiate Dependent Women and their children
- DUI Liquor: Mandated Driving Offense program for men and women referred from 35 district courts. This is the only facility in the state.
- Centerpoint: Long term secure residential treatment Facility for male Adolescents at Risk
- Merrimack Center: Coed residential behaviorally intense secure Treatment Facility for Adolescents – male and female
- Tewksbury Detox Center: Short term detox for males and females
- Lowell Recovery: Long term recovery program for males with addiction issues
- Casa Esperanza: Bilingual program for men and women in recovery
The Main Hospital is 700,000 square feet for 12 patient care units with an average daily census during FY 2017 of 361. There are 41 buildings totaling 1.1 million square feet.
See our comprehensive Overview of Tewksbury Hospital (DOC) for more details.