COVID-19 Pandemic Guidance
Guidance for fire and building officials on fire and life safety in temporary shelters and temporary uses of buildings from Commission or the Division of Professional Licensure and the State Fire Marshal: Joint DFS/DPL Advisory on Temporary Shelters
Advisory from the State Fire Marshal on the fire code and heating in tents, canopies and other temporary structures.
Emergency Order on Sale and Transfer Inspections
The Governor's Executive Order allowing the deferral of smoke and carbon monoxide alarm inspections ended on July 10, 2020. Buyers who agreed to defer these inspections must have them completed by October 9, 2020. This includes all sales or transfers of residential property. The seller must make sure these inspections occur for any new sales or transfers after July 10. Contact your local fire department to schedule an inspection. Read the advisory from the State Fire Marshal for more information.
Hand Sanitizer Fire Prevention
DFS has written a new Hand Sanitizer Fire Prevention pamphlet about the use and storage of hand sanitizer in public and commercial places. It provides advice for places that are using and storing hand sanitizer for the first time during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends a 70% alcohol mixture for hand sanitizer. Seventy percent alcohol classifies most hand sanitizers as a Class IB or Class IC flammable liquid, which is regulated by the the Massachusetts State Building Code, 780 CMR, and the Comprehensive State Fire Code, 527 CMR 1.00.
Fire Safety Division Forms and Applications
The Division of Fire Safety has forms and applications for local fire departments and for a variety of regulated industries including:
- Fire prevention forms and applications .
- Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspection Program forms and applications.
Visit the Fire Safety Division forms and applications page.
Massachusetts Fire Code
Learn about the Massachusetts State Fire Code, including:
Revisions to the Comprehensive Fire Safety Code took effect October 18, 2019. For more information see the Advisory - Revisions to 527 CMR 1.00: Massachusetts Comprehensive Fire Safety Code .
Visit the Massachusetts State Fire & Electrical Code page.
Fire Code Compliance
Technical support staff provide:
- Fire protection engineering support
- Fire code interpretations
- Opinions on the application of fire safety laws and regulations
- Support to local enforcement agencies
- Plan review for above ground storage tanks and self-serve gas stations
- Permits for above ground storage tanks and self-serve gas stations
Fire departments can reach the DFS Code Compliance Desk at (978) 567-3375.
Fire Prevention Resources
Information for DFS-regulated industries and fire officials on:
- Aboveground Storage Tanks
- Blasting, Fireworks and Explosives (includes Blasting Detail Orientation Training)
- Boiler and Pressure Vessel (BPV) Safety
- Cannabis Fire Safety
- Commercial Cooking and Exhaust Systems (Hood Cleaning)
- Crop Mazes and Haunted Houses
- Crowd Management
- Fire Extinguishers
- Hand Sanitizer Fire Prevention
- Hotworks (Welding & Cutting)
- Marine Fueling
- Motion Picture & TV Production
- Places of Assembly
- Self-Service Gas Stations
FSD Advisories to Fire Departments and the Public
Open 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Stow, MA 01775