COVID-19 Pandemic Guidance
Guidance for fire and building officials on fire and life safety in temporary shelters and temporary uses of buildings from Commission or the Division of Professional Licensure and the State Fire Marshal: Joint DFS/DPL Advisory on Temporary Shelters
Advisory from the State Fire Marshal on the fire code and heating in tents, canopies and other temporary structures.
Emergency Order on Sale and Transfer Inspections
The Executive Order issued by Governor Charles D. Baker during this COVID-19 pandemic for smoke and CO alarm inspections for the sale and transfer of residential properties has been rescinded with an effective date of July 10, 2020. Buyers who agreed to defer the inspection must have the inspection completed by October 9, 2020. An advisory published by the State Fire Marshal is available below and provides additional information.
Fire Safety Division Forms and Applications
The Division of Fire Safety has forms and applications for local fire departments and for a variety of regulated industries including:
- Fire prevention forms and applications .
- Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspection Program forms and applications.
Visit the Fire Safety Division forms and applications page.
Massachusetts Fire Code
Learn about the Massachusetts State Fire Code, including:
Revisions to the Comprehensive Fire Safety Code took effect October 18, 2019. For more information see the Advisory - Revisions to 527 CMR 1.00: Massachusetts Comprehensive Fire Safety Code .
Visit the Massachusetts State Fire & Electrical Code page.
Fire Code Compliance
Technical support staff provide:
- Fire protection engineering support
- Fire code interpretations
- Opinions on the application of fire safety laws and regulations
- Support to local enforcement agencies
- Plan review for above ground storage tanks and self-serve gas stations
- Permits for above ground storage tanks and self-serve gas stations
Fire departments can reach the DFS Code Compliance Desk at (978) 567-3375.
Fire Prevention Resources
Information for DFS-regulated industries and fire officials on:
- Aboveground Storage Tanks
- Blasting, Fireworks and Explosives (includes Blasting Detail Orientation Training)
- Boiler and Pressure Vessel (BPV) Safety
- Commercial Cooking and Exhaust Systems (Hood Cleaning)
- Crop Mazes and Haunted Houses
- Crowd Management
- Fire Extinguishers
- Hotworks (Welding & Cutting)
- Marine Fueling
- Motion Picture & TV Production
- Places of Assembly
- Self-Service Gas Stations
FSD Advisories to Fire Departments and the Public
Open 8 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Stow, MA 01775