Get information on Boiler and Pressure Vessel Licenses. These include licenses for:
- steam firemen and engineers (power plant operators),
- boiler and pressure vessel inspectors,
- oil burner technicians.
Licensing topic areas
The Department of Fire Services issues licenses, permits and certificates for:
Licensing exam guidelines
Review these licensing guidelines before you submit an application or take an exam. The guidelines answer questions about:
- License applications
- Test preparation
- Re-taking exams
- Testing responsibilities
License exam schedule
ALL exams are held at 10:00 a.m.
|Exam dates||Application deadlines|
BOTH Fire Suppression AND
July 17, 2019
Sept 18, 2019
Nov 13, 2019
June 28, 2019
Aug 30, 2019
Oct 25, 2019
Aug 21, 2019
Oct 16, 2019
Aug 2, 2019
Sept 27, 2019
Licensing exam study materials
DFS provides study materials for licensing exams. Download and study the materials for any exam you plan to take.
Additional Resources for
Licensing exam information
- You must be pre-registered for all license exams.
- We must receive your complete current application by 5:00 p.m. on the deadline date listed above. If we get your application after the deadline, you cannot take the exam.
- All exams start promptly at 10:00 a.m.
- You can take exams at: 1 State Road in Stow (park in the remote lot at the top of the hill); and 100 Grochmal Avenue in Springfield. Directions are available at www.mass.gov/dfs.
- Questions? Contact the Licensing Desk at 978-567-3700 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions on Boiler and Pressure Vessel licenses, contact: (978) 567-3780.