Get information on Boiler and Pressure Vessel Licenses. These include licenses for:
- steam firemen and engineers (power plant operators),
- boiler and pressure vessel inspectors,
- oil burner technicians.
Emergency Order on Sale and Transfer Inspections
The Governor's Executive Order allowing the deferral of smoke and carbon monoxide alarm inspections ended on July 10, 2020. Buyers who agreed to defer these inspections must have them completed by October 9, 2020. This includes all sales or transfers of residential property. The seller must make sure these inspections occur for any new sales or transfers after July 10. Contact your local fire department to schedule an inspection. Read the advisory from the State Fire Marshal for more information.
Recent amendments to 527 CMR 1.00 effective May 15, 2020. On May 15, 2020, new penalties took effect for performing work that requires a license after it has been suspended or revoked, and for unlicensed individuals who falsely represent themselves as licensed to perform work regulated by the State Fire Code. Additional changes hold companies responsible for knowingly allowing their employees to falsely represent themselves as valid license holders.
Licensing Topic Areas
The Department of Fire Services issues licenses, permits and certificates for:
Licensing Exam Guidelines
Review these licensing guidelines before you submit an application or take an exam. The guidelines answer questions about:
- License applications
- Test preparation
- Re-taking exams
- Testing responsibilities
License Exam Schedule
|Exam dates||Application deadlines|
BOTH Fire Suppression AND
March 10, 2021
May 12, 2021
July 14, 2021
February 12, 2021
April 16, 2021
June 18, 2021
February 17, 2021
April 21, 2021
June 9, 2021
January 22, 2021
March 26, 2021
May 14, 2021
Licensing Exam Study Materials
DFS provides study materials for licensing exams. Download and study the materials for any exam you plan to take.
Additional Resources for
Licensing Exam Information
- You must be pre-registered for all license exams.
- We must receive your complete current application by 5:00 p.m. on the deadline date listed above. If we get your application after the deadline, you cannot take the exam.
- You can take exams at: 1 State Road in Stow (park in the remote lot at the top of the hill); and 100 Grochmal Avenue in Springfield. Directions are available at www.mass.gov/dfs.
- Questions? Contact the Licensing Desk at 978-567-3700 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions on Boiler and Pressure Vessel licenses, contact: (978) 567-3780.