The Office of Technical Assistance and Technology (OTA) has long been driven by the premise that preventing pollution makes good business sense. Find information about OTA's programs and services.
Guide Frequently Asked Questions About OTA
Table of Contents
What are some of OTA's programs and services?
The Office of Technical Assistance and Technology (OTA) provides a host of non-regulatory, strictly confidential services to businesses. Services encompass compliance assistance and on-site technical support to reduce toxics use, improve energy efficiency and conserve water and other resources.
OTA's services also reflect the changing profile of the Massachusetts economy. For instance, OTA supports life sciences, medical device and other emerging, high-growth industries by providing pre-permitting and other assistance.
Additional Resources for What are some of OTA's programs and services?
What can OTA's specialists do to help your facility?
OTA provides site visits, and phone or email assistance to help you:
- Identify opportunities to reduce risks associated with the use, storage, and processing of hazardous chemicals
- Address potential safety issues and enhance compliance with regulations
- Reduce employee exposure to hazardous chemicals and provide a safer workplace
- Identify and evaluate inherently safer processes and chemistries
- Identify and access utility, state, and federal incentives and resources
- Increase the efficiency of process energy use
- Implement operations and maintenance best practices to conserve water and other materials
Download a flyer featuring OTA's services for Massachusetts businesses:
What is an OTA site visit?
You can request that an OTA team visit your facility to provide recommendations on toxics reduction, energy efficiency, renewable energy, water and resource conservation, or compliance.
While OTA engineers can provide assistance and explanations by email or over the phone, many times the best way to address your facility's unique needs and specific questions is to schedule a site visit at your convenience.
Since its existence, OTA has made more than 4,300 visits to Massachusetts facilities.
What is OTA's confidentiality policy?
The Office of Technical Assistance and Technology (OTA) takes great care in protecting information it receives from the businesses and other facilities that communicate with office personnel.
Environmental assistance services are confidential and any information or practices learned during the course of assisting businesses will not be shared or reported to anyone unless:
- The toxics user agrees in writing that such information may be made available to the department;
- The office determines at its discretion, the information pertains to an imminent threat to public health or safety, or to the environment
See the OTA Confidentiality Policy for more details.