Use the Massachusetts Prescription Awareness Tool whenever you prescribe an opioid. It’s required by law, and research shows it’s lowering the number of opioid prescriptions – and saving lives.
Why MassPAT is important
Massachusetts is battling the opioid epidemic on multiple fronts. As a prescriber you have a critical role to play.
Viewing a patient’s prescription history can:
- Enable early identification of misuse, abuse or diversion
- Prompt early intervention
- Avoid duplication of drug therapy
- Facilitate communication between providers and promote coordination of care
"MassPAT assists me with consistent and safe prescribing when I see my patients. The alert feature helps ensure appropriate treatment choices."
Requirements to use MassPAT
Massachusetts General Laws Ch. 94C, Sec. 24A requires a practitioner to utilize the prescription monitoring program:
- Each time prior to issuing a prescription to a patient for a narcotic drug in Schedule II or III
- Prior to prescribing to a benzodiazepine to a patient for the first time
Chapter 208 of the Acts of 2018
Additional Resources for Requirements to use MassPAT
Register for MassPAT
Register online for MassPAT, the tool utilized by authorized providers that supports safe prescribing and dispensing of Schedule II through V controlled substances. We provide video tutorials with instructions for prescribers, pharmacists, and delegates.