- This page, Apply for or renew a podiatrist, optometrist, researcher, or veterinarian MCSR , is offered by
- Massachusetts Controlled Substances Registration
- Drug Control Program
- Bureau of Health Professions Licensure
- Department of Public Health
Apply for or renew a podiatrist, optometrist, researcher, or veterinarian MCSR
Contact for Apply for or renew a podiatrist, optometrist, researcher, or veterinarian MCSR
Massachusetts Controlled Substances Registration
The Details of Apply for or renew a podiatrist, optometrist, researcher, or veterinarian MCSR
What you need for Apply for or renew a podiatrist, optometrist, researcher, or veterinarian MCSR
You may now apply for or renew a MCSR on the Health Professions Licensing Portal. If this is your first time using this new portal, please visit Health Professions Licensing System User Guide for information on how to get started.
What you need before applying for a new MCSR
Your Massachusetts Board of Registration License Number
DEA Federal Controlled Substance Registration Number (if possessed)
Per our regulations, the address provided for your MCSR must be a place where you conduct business, specifically, prescriptive practice. See, 105 CMR 700.004(F). Under the applicable law and regulations, the address used for your MCSR must be your principal place of business or professional practice. If you do not have such a place of business or professional practice, the Drug Control Program allows registrants to use their home address. The address provided need not be located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Out-of-state addresses need a letter of explanation
Primary telephone number
Primary email address
Social Security Number (Required by M.G.L. c. 30A, s. 13A)
Date of Birth
- Researchers-Approved studies copy of IRB or IACUC approval letter for any human/animal research, or copy of an FDA Form 1572 for any human research which involves investigational new drugs.
- List of each specific drug used
- The source of controlled substances and/or IND’s supplied to/obtained by the researcher
- The purpose controlled substances and/or IND’s will be used
- Detailed manner in which Controlled Substances and/or IND’s will be secured
- Construction of storage area
- Accountability system
- Veterinarians—current board issued wallet card
Research Inspection Requirements
- Detailed Floor Plan and Square footage
- High-Level Organizational Chart
- Program/Research or Study Objective
- Location Overview
- Hours of operation
- If there are other occupants, who are they?
- Visitor Policy
- Security Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)/Policies
- Access to the facility
- Individualized key cards, keys, etc.
- Access to limited areas/lab within facilities
- Individualized key card, keys, etc.
- Arm Company Information
- Who will they contact if breach occurs?
- Storage of controlled substances
- Safe/steel cabinet
- Location of storage
- Security of storage (motion sensors, vibration sensors, contact switches, glassbreak detectors, etc.)
- Access to the facility
- Use of Controlled Substances
- Overview of how they will be used
- Process of Ordering and Receiving
- Process of Reverse Distribution/ Destruction
- How, where and for how long will records be kept?
Fees for Apply for or renew a podiatrist, optometrist, researcher, or veterinarian MCSR
|MCSR application - for individuals||$150||each|
How to submit Apply for or renew a podiatrist, optometrist, researcher, or veterinarian MCSR
Health Professions Licensing Portal
Helpful information on how to create an account and renew your registration(s).
To create an account, navigate to https://healthprofessionlicensing.mass.gov/ and click the “CREATE ACCOUNT” button.
Once your account is created, use the registration # and PIN # you previously received to link your account to your MCSR. If you have not received a registration # or PIN# please contact MCSR@mass.gov.
After linking your account to your registration, you may renew your MCSR online up to 90 days in advance of the registration expiration date.
You must review the entire renewal application. You can update contact information at this time.
Video tutorials with step-by-step instructions on creating and linking your account and renewing your registration are available online at: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/health-professions-licensing-system-user-guide. If you need additional assistance, please contact the Help Desk at (617) 973-0935 or email@example.com.
If you need a paper application please email MCSR@mass.gov