- Most DLS staff are working remotely and can be contacted by email. Click here to find staff email addresses using the DLS Staff Directory
- Telephone services have been temporarily suspended, including our DLSLaw Attorney Hotline.
- The DLSLaw email account can be used for municipal law guidance not related to COVID-19; DLSLAW@dor.state.ma.us
- Urgent municipal finance and regulatory questions related to COVID-19 can be emailed to COVID19DLS@dor.state.ma.us.
- We urge all municipal officials not already receiving DLS notifications to use this page to sign up for DLS Alerts. DLS issues important information (Alerts, Bulletins, IGRs and more) using this email distribution list.
- For information on personal or corporate income tax, or child support, visit the Department of Revenue's COVID-19 page.
Municipal officials are encouraged to read DLS's guide, Dealing with the Impact of COVID-19 on a Local Government’s Financial Health. This guide is designed to help local officials navigate through some of the municipal finance concerns that have arisen during the current crisis.
Emergency Expenditures and Fiscal Resources
This section provides guidance on emergency expenditures related to COVID-19.
For emergency spending authorization, please send an email to the Director of Accounts at COVID19DLS@dor.state.ma.us and we will respond as soon as possible.
For guidance on Chapter 30B procurement matters, contact the Office of the Inspector General's 30B Assistance Hotline, open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 617-722-8838 or 30BHotline@massmail.state.ma.us
Legislation and Emergency Actions
- Bulletin 2020-08 An Act Relative to Municipal Governance During the COVID-19 Emergency, Ch. 92 of the Acts of 2020 6/10/20 (PDF)
- Ch. 92 Section-by-section summary
Ch. 56 of the Acts of 2020 - An Act to further address challenges faced by municipalities, school districts and state authorities resulting from COVID-19...signed by the Governor 4/10/2020 | Section-by-section summary
Ch. 53 of the Acts of 2020 – An Act to Address Challenges Faced by Municipalities and State Authorities Resulting from COVID-19 (4/3/20)
- DLS Bulletin 2020-02 (PDF)
- Addendum to Bulletin 2020-02, 4/7/20 (PDF)
- Session Law Acts of 2020
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to Sections 10 and 11 (4/15/20)
- Bulletin 2020-4 Appropriation of July 1, 2019 Certified Free Cash and Retained Earnings After June 30, 2020 (PDF)
- Bulletin 2020-5 Amortization of FY2020 Deficit Resulting From COVID-19 Emergency (PDF)
- Bulletin 2020-6 Deficit Spending Authority for Continued Operation After June 30, 2020 In the Event of a Delay in FY2021 Budget Adoption (PDF)
CARES Act for Municipal Government
The federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (the “CARES Act”) includes funds for Massachusetts governments to use to pay costs incurred in responding to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Apply for funding:
- Guidance for Massachusetts municipalities on accessing funds from the Coronavirus Relief Fund The federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (the “CARES Act”) includes funds for Massachusetts governments to use to pay costs incurred in responding to the COVID-19 outbreak. This memo describes how your city or town can access funds for that purpose (updated for Round 2 - 9/30/20)
- Attachment A: Potential Municipal Uses
- Attachment B Certification Form
- Attachment C Total Eligible Amounts Rounds 1 and 2
- CARES Act Coronavirus Relief Fund - Municipal Program Application Template
- Submit your completed application template
- Click here for Cycle 1 Municipal CRF-MP Reporting Templates
Q&A and other resources:
- Coronavirus Relief Funds FAQ’s (updated 9/30/2020)
- Ask a question (contact the Executive Office for Administration and Finance's Federal Programs Office)
- A&F Presentation on Round 1 - MMA webinar (5/14/20)
- A&F Presentation on Round 2 MMA webinar (10/1/20)
- CvRF Reporting and Next Steps: a memorandum from the Executive Office for Administration and Finance (ANF) (8/21/20 Update)
- Baker-Polito Administration to Distribute $502 Million from the Federal Coronavirus Relief Fund to Local Cities and Towns
- A letter to municipal CEOs from Michael J. Heffernan, Secretary of Administration and Finance (5/14/20)
- Bulletin 2020-7 Accounting for COVID-19 Emergency Expenditures and for Reimbursements and Monies Received by Cities and Towns from CARES ACT Coronavirus Relief Funds and from FEMA (6/3/20)
Please note that the deadline for communities to submit applications for Round 2 FY20 Coronavirus Relief Funds is Friday, October 30th.
Public Health and Safety
Information related to municipal public health and safety departments.
Information on general governance and changes to open meeting laws.
MEMA Federal Disaster Declaration Information
Telework cybersecurity advice for cities and towns (MassCyberCenter 3/19/20)
CISA.gov provides resources including guidance on teleworking, defining critical infrastructure and encouraging user vigilance.
COVID-19 Security Resource Library from StaySafeOnline.org (National Cyber Security Alliance)
This library from NCSA features free information on current scams, cyber threats, remote working, disaster relief, and more.
Guidance From Other Agencies
Information and guidance from other Commonwealth agencies and organizations that may be helpful to cities and towns.
|Date published:||March 20, 2020|
|Last updated:||October 21, 2020|