• This page, Filing a consumer financial complaint, is   offered by
  • Division of Banks

Filing a consumer financial complaint

Any complaints should be directed to the financial institution or licensee's primary regulator.

Table of Contents

Division of Banks complaints

The Division of Banks (DOB) Consumer Assistance Unit handles all complaints involving state-chartered banks and credit unions, check cashers, foreign transmittal companies, sales finance companies, and mortgage lenders, brokers and originators. 

The DOB limits complaint resolution to Massachusetts state-chartered, licensed companies, or individuals. Complaints not involving DOB regulated entities will be referred to the correct agency.

Additional Resources

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency complaints

Complaints regarding a federally chartered bank may be directed to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC).  Federally chartered banks often have 'National', 'NA', 'Federal' or 'FSB' included in their name.

Additional Resources

National Credit Union Administration complaints

Complaints regarding federally chartered credit unions may be directed to the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA).  Federally chartered credit unions often have the word 'Federal' included in their name.

Additional Resources

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau complaints

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) is a federal agency which will take a complaint regarding any financial product or service, regardless of the institution type.  Often the CFPB will refer you to the primary regulator for direct assistance.

Additional Resources

Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation complaints

Questions or complaints about Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) deposit insurance coverage regarding your financial institution.

Additional Resources

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.