Uniform probate code
Uniform Probate Code, MGL c.190B (MUPC)
Laws of intestate succession, estate administration, and much more.
Without a will
With a will
Wills, Estates and Trust Forms, Probate and Family Court
Request for Limited Issues Settlement Conference, together with Guidelines for Participation. Free Pilot Program designed to settle cases where the majority of the contested issues have already been resolved. Mass. Probate and Family Court Department.
- Probate and Family Court MUPC Hub. Includes links to forms, training material, rules, and more.
- 8 Ways to Avoid Probate , Nolo, 2016
Shows ways you can set up your assets to avoid or limit your estate being probated. Requires library card for access
- Busy Family's Guide to Estate Planning, Nolo, 2007
Estate planning guide with an emphasis on those with children, including appointing a guardian for your children and managing children's money. Requires library card for access.
- Complete Guide to Organizing Your Records for Estate Planning: Step-by-Step Instructions, Atlantic Publishing, 2009. Requires library card for access
- Estate Planning Basics, Nolo, 2017.
Includes information on wills, living trusts, estate tax and more. Requires library card for access.
- Estate Planning for Blended Families, Nolo, 2009
Planning for children and stepchildren, May-December couples, or couples of unequal wealth. With forms and checklists. Requires library card for access.
- Helping Your Clients Provide for Pets in Estate Plans, Mass. Bar Association, 2006.
Detailed information on things to consider and appropriate documents.
- IRAs, 401(k)s & Other Retirement Plans: Taking Your Money Out, Nolo, 2017
Includes information on early distributions, periodic payments, types of retirement plans and more. Requires library card for access.
- Massachusetts Probate: An Overview, Nolo.com
"Recently enacted laws make probate in Massachusetts simpler."
- Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code: A New Law Effecting Inheritance, Wills, Trusts and Estate Administration, Douglas Peterson
Helpful information on surviving spouses, spousal share, and disinheriting children under the new law.
- Mom's Guide to Wills and Estate Planning, Nolo, 2009
"Provides practical, straightforward recommendations on estate planning options and provides a solid plan that every family can find the time to follow." Requires library card for access.
- Plan Your Estate, Nolo, 2016
Includes information on beneficiaries, wills, avoiding probate, living trusts, life insurance, and more. Requires library card for access.
- Saving the Family Cottage, A Guide to Succession Planning for Your Cottage, Cabin, Camp or Vacation Home, Nolo, 2017.
"We’ll show you how to use the limited liability company to achieve your family’s goals for the cottage, outlining techniques for management and power sharing, scheduling, financing, graceful exits, and successful transfers that minimize federal taxes." Requires library card for access.
Wills and estates administration
- Ajemian v. Yahoo!, 478 Mass. 169 (2017)
The "Stored Communications Act (SCA), 18 U.S.C. §§ 2701 et seq., does not prohibit... Yahoo from disclosing to the personal representatives of an estate the electronic mail (e-mail) messages in the decedent's account."
- Conflicts, Competence and Confidentiality in Will Drafting, Mass. Board of Bar Overseers
"When a lawyer is consulted to prepare a will for a testator, the fact that the lawyer also represents a potential beneficiary can create other issues that may also require attention, depending upon the circumstances."
- The Executor's Guide: Settling a Loved One's Estate or Trust, Nolo, 2016
Gives an overview to being an executor. Includes information on taking inventory, what to do if there is no will, taxes, claiming benefits and more. Requires library card for access.
- MUPC Estate Administration Procedural Guide, Administrative Office of the Probate and Family Court, 2016.
This in-depth manual "contains a wealth of information and a detailed description of the Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code and how it is to be implemented in the Probate and Family Court."
- Procedural Advisory on Estate Administration Matters, Probate and Family Court Department, October 26, 2012
Provides a general summary of changes to the MUPC as a result of St.2012, c.140, signed July 8, 2012. Forms are included in the court's main Wills, Estates and Trusts Forms page.
- Quick and Legal Will Book, Nolo, 2017
This book provides fill-in-the-blank forms and instructions for making a basic will. Requires library card for access.
- Cosgrove v. Hughes, 78 Mass. App. Ct. 739 (2011)
"If a decedent has acknowledged paternity of a person born out of wedlock . . . that person is heir of his father." The child does not have to prove a biological connection.
- Degrees of Kinship Chart, Mass. Probate and Family Court.
- Digital Assets and Intestacy, BU J. Sci. & Tech. L. (2015)
Discusses the current state of the law regarding digital assets, and argues that "legislation is needed to authorize legal ways of managing these assets and to clarify the rights of heirs to access such assets."
Complete Guide to Planning Your Estate in Massachusetts, Atlantic Publishing, 2011.
Drafting Wills and Trusts in Massachusetts, MCLE, loose-leaf
Massachusetts Probate Manual, MCLE, loose-leaf
The new MUPC is here... and now, MCLE, 2012
Planning for the Vacation Home, MCLE, 2014
A Practical Guide to Estate Planning in Massachusetts, MCLE, loose-leaf.
Probate Issues Resolved Under the MUPC: Answers to the informal probate process, at last!, Mass. Bar Institute, 2013
Settlement of Estates and Fiduciary Law in Massachusetts, with supplement.
|Last Updated:||April 18, 2018|