Overview and Implementation Details
The Continued Assistance for Unemployed Workers Act of 2020, which extends benefits under the CARES Act, and provides new qualification requirements, was signed into law on December 27, 2020.
Because the Continued Assistance Act was signed on December 27, 2020, individuals collecting benefits under the PUA and PEUC programs will be eligible for benefits for the week ending January 2, 2021.
DUA has already implemented some of the provisions of the Continued Assistance Act of 2020:
Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC)
- As of January 6, 2021, DUA has implemented FPUC for UI claimants. The additional $300 was added to weekly benefit payments for the week ending January 2, 2021.
- PUA claimants will receive their FPUC payments beginning Monday, Jan. 11, 2021.
Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)
- The extended PEUC program is still being implemented in UI Online. Extended PEUC claimants will receive retroactive payment to the week ending January 2, 2021, if eligible when the additional 11 weeks are implemented.
- For many PEUC claimants, the PEUC program will conclude the week ending March 13, 2021. However, claimants who are eligible for PEUC during the week ending March 13, 2021 and have not yet exhausted their 24 weeks will be able to claim PEUC through the week ending April 10, 2021.
High Unemployment Period Extended Benefits (HUP EB)
- HUP EB will remain active due to continued federal funding until conditions for the 20-week entitlement “trigger off” or until the week ending March 13, 2021. Eligible claimants are receiving their weekly benefits.
DUA is working as swiftly as possible to make the remaining necessary changes. Implementation updates and payment timelines for the remaining programs are as follows:
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)
- DUA has implemented the extended PUA program and payments after the week ending December 26, 2020 will be paid beginning on Monday, January 11, 2020. Claimants should continue to file weekly claim certifications as scheduled.
Summary of Programs
As a reminder, among the changes contained in the Continued Assistance for Unemployed Workers Act of 2020 are:
|Continued Assistance for Unemployed Workers Act of 2020 Program||Program Summary|
|Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation (FPUC)||
|Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)||
|Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)||
|High Unemployment Period Extended Benefits (HUP EB)||
Open 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday. Multilingual call agents are available.
To request weekly benefits, daily 6 a.m.–10 p.m.
To check your claim or benefit payment status (*please do not transfer to an agent while in the system-this is not staffed at this time)