The Division of Crop and Pest Services is responsible for the regulation of the agricultural industry and pesticide application services in Massachusetts through the diligent inspection, examination, licensing, registration, quarantine, and enforcement of laws, regulations and orders.
Crop and Pest Inspectional Services ensures the quality of farm inputs, such as fertilizer, animal feed, and seeds and inspects consumer products such as plants, fruits and vegetables. The nursery inspection program prevents and minimizes the impacts of pests entering the state via imported produce and plants. The quality of farm products is monitored in conjunction with the USDA's grading program. Apiary (bee) inspections are conducted to prevent the introduction and establishment of honey bee pests and diseases.
The Pesticide Program protects public health and the environment by licensing individuals who apply pesticides, registering pesticide products used in the Commonwealth and enforcing both federal and state pesticide laws and regulations. The Pesticide Program also safeguards the public drinking water supply and provides guidance for the mixing, loading, storage and disposal of pesticides. The Pesticide Program also protects the public through the School Integrated Pest Management (IPM) requirements and through the control of mosquitoes by the State Reclamation and Mosquito Control Board.
Pesticide Disposal Opportunity
The Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR) opened registration to pesticide applicators for the opportunity to dispose of unwanted and/or unregistered pesticides at no cost. MDAR had received a grant and placed this program on a first come first serve basis. Due to the high demand of the program MDAR has reached the funding capacity based on funding. Unfortunately your registration did not reach us in time to be able to participate in this program. MDAR will continue to seek out opportunities to fund such events as it appears there is continuous need for such.
Programs and Services
- Apiary Program (honey bees)
- Aquatic Vegetation Management
- Asian Longhorned Beetle Information
- Commercial Feed and Pet Food Registration
- Cooperative Agricultural Pest Survey (CAPS)
- Fertilizer/Lime Registration
- Fruits and Vegetables Inspection
- Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) & Good Handling Practices (GHP) Audit Program
- Massachusetts Pesticide Board
- Massachusetts Prohibited Plant List
- Pesticide Applicator Continuing Education (PACE) Credits and Contact Hours
- Pesticide Enforcement
- Pesticide Examination and Licensing
- Pesticide Product Registration
- Pesticide Program
- Plant Nutrient Management
- Rights of Way Vegetation Management
- School IPM: Children and Families Protection Act
- State Reclamation and Mosquito Control Board (SRMCB)
- Water Quality and Pesticides