Find information on what MassDEP is doing to reduce pollution from stormwater.

MassDEP helps people learn about federal, state, and local stormwater permits. Many of these permits are administered directly by the federal EPA or by cities and towns. Here is information about these programs.

Federal Stormwater Permits

These permits are:

  • The Construction General Permit: for construction projects disturbing one or more acres.
  • The Multi-Sector General Permit: to operate industrial facilities in Massachusetts.
  • The Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) General Permit: for most cities and towns in Massachusetts, to operate municipal stormwater systems. 

MassDEP has compiled materials to assist affected municipalities in complying with the MS4 permit; see the fourth link and the documents below.

Additional Resources for Federal Stormwater Permits

State Stormwater Standards and Permits

Massachusetts administers stormwater standards through provisions of the Wetlands Protection regulations, 310 CMR 10.00.

Depending on their type and jurisdiction, projects that have a stormwater-management component may fall under:

  • Wetlands Notices of Intent (WPA Form 3): filed with the local Conservation Commission for projects in wetland areas
  • Surface Water Discharge General Permit (WM 15): for Construction General Permits or Multi-Sector General Permits in Outstanding Resource Waters.

Additional Resources for State Stormwater Standards and Permits

Local Stormwater Permitting

Cities and towns may have local stormwater and/or wetlands bylaws; contact your city or town for guidance. 

Stormwater Policies & Guidance

Complete Erosion and Sedimentation Control Guidelines: a Guide for Planners, Designers, and Municipal Officials
Best management practices for controlling erosion and sedimentation.

The Massachusetts Stormwater Handbook
Last revised in February 2008.

Wetlands Program Method to Convert Stormwater Water Quality Volume to Peak Flow Rate
A standardized conversion method for this calculation.

Water Resource Management Planning Guidance Document
This guidance is intended to explain the types of water management planning reports towns and communities can use when approaching their particular wastewater, drinking water and stormwater issues.

Additional Resources for Stormwater Policies & Guidance


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think