Know before you go
Whether you are a first-time visitor to a state park or a seasoned regular, DCR recommends visitors plan their hike before they leave home with these COVID-19 and winter hiking guidelines in mind:
- Print or download a trail map at home. Paper maps are no longer available at state parks due to COVID-19. GPS signals may not available on smartphones in thickly-settled trails.
- For a list of DCR trail maps visit: https://www.mass.gov/lists/dcr-trail-maps.
- Check the weather and dress for it. Wear layers and sturdy footwear.
- Know the trail conditions. Keep it short and safe. Stay clear of icy trails—or be prepared with traction devices and hiking poles.
- Notify someone of your plans.
- Be flexible—if the park is busy or weather becomes harsh, please come back later in the week.
- Remember the sun sets early. Please be off the trails before sunset. Plan to be back at your car by 4:30 p.m. as it will be dark by then.
- Know which parks are pet friendly:
- Dogs are not permitted in DCR Water Supply Protection areas and several state parks.
- Always keep your dog leashed. Always pick up after your dog and dispose of waste properly. For complete guidelines visit: https://www.mass.gov/guides/dogs-in-dcr-parks.
- Remember visitor centers and rest rooms may be closed, so plan your hike accordingly.
Upon Arriving at the Park
Be flexible and courteous. Park only in designated areas. Please do not park on the road, in fields not designated for parking, or on neighbors' properties. If the parking lot is full, please come back another time.
Be COVID-19 Safe to Protect Yourself, Other Visitors and Park Staff
- Stay home if you are not feeling well.
- Wear a mask or facial covering at all times, covering both your nose and mouth—they are required at all state parks.
- Practice social distancing of at least 6 feet.
- Gather and hike with the members of your household only.
- Share the trails: Announce your presence as you approach, step aside to allow space for others to safely pass on the trail.
- Carry and use hand sanitizer before and after touching shared surfaces.
- Carry out all trash and belongings you carry in—including pet waste.
|Date published:||December 30, 2020|
|Last updated:||December 30, 2020|