Massachusetts Rules of Civil Procedure 45: Subpoenas
- Rule 45(a). For attendance of witnesses; form; issuance
- Rule 45(b). Combining or separating a command to produce or to permit inspection; specifying the form for electronically stored information
- Rule 45(c). Service
- Rule 45(d). Subpoenas for taking deposition and for command to produce; place of examination
- Rule 45(e). Subpoena for a hearing or trial
- Rule 45(f). Duties in responding to a subpoena
- Rule 45(g). Contempt
Trial Court Rule IX: Uniform rules on subpoenas to court officials
- Rule 1. Subpoena to a justice, magistrate or probation officer
- Rule 2. Subpoena duces tecum to court officials
- Rule 3. Subpoena duces tecum for records of the Office of the Commissioner of Probation
Subpoenas, Mass. Legal Help. Includes:
- Sample subpoena with request for documents, with sample affidavit of service
- Blank subpoena form, you can fill in online
- Sample letter to employer, concerning subpoena of documents
Subpoena for documents only, Worcester Law Library.
See Print Sources below for additional forms.
While Rule 45 provides that service can be made by "any person who is not a party and is not less than 18 years of age," service can also be made by a Deputy Sheriff or Constable
Are deposition subpoenas enforceable in Massachusetts civil cases?, Lynch & Owens P.C. (By James M. Lynch, June 9, 2017).
Reviews the “Massachusetts laws which give teeth to subpoenas in civil cases, including the issuance of bench warrants.”
The new "documents only" subpoena under recently amended Mass. R. Civ. P. 45, Boston Bar Journal, 2015.
Nice summary of the rule and procedure.
Serving a subpoena, Mass. Legal Help.
A simple guide for those who want to serve a subpoena, includes directions and forms.
SJC changes subpoena rules for Massachusetts litigants, Schwartz Hannum PC, (September 2015).
Deposition and discovery request for use in another state
MGL c.223A, §10 Taking depositions outside commonwealth; issuance of commissions or letters rogatory
MGL c.223A, § 11 Discovery within commonwealth for proceedings outside commonwealth
MGL c.233, § 45 Deposition for use in another state
LexisNexis practice guide: Massachusetts civil pretrial practice, annual, LexisNexis.
Chapter 12. § 12.08 CHECKLIST: Compelling Witness' Appearance and Production of Records at Trial By Subpoena; § 12.09 Compelling Appearance and Production of Documentary Evidence at Trial by Subpoena; § 12.10 Moving to Quash or Modify Subpoena.
LexisNexis practice guide: Massachusetts civil trial practice, annual, LexisNexis.
Chapter 1. § 1.15 Serving Trial Subpoena.
Massachusetts pleading and practice: forms and commentary, v.6, Matthew Bender, loose-leaf, Chapter 45-Rule 45. Subpoena. Forms included.
- vol. 7 (Rules practice) 2nd ed., Thomson/West, 2007 with supplement, Sections 45.1-45.9.
- vol. 9 (Civil practice) 3rd ed. Thomson/West, 2004 with supplement, Sections 22.12-22.13, 30.2- 30.4.
- vol. 10C (Procedural forms annotated) 6th ed. West, 2009 with supplement, Sections 91:1-91:20. (Quashing motions included)
- vol. 31 (Equitable remedies) 3rd ed. Thomson/West, 2007 with supplement, Section 5.7.
- vol. 43A (Trial practice) 3rd ed. Thomson Reuters, 2017 with supplement, Sections 13:2-13:5.
- vol. 49A (Discovery) 3rd ed. Thomson Reuters, 2017 with supplement, Sections 8.4-8.7, 8.74-8.76.
|Last updated:||May 31, 2023|