What you need
- Legal name and address of the business
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Start date of business
Go to MassTaxConnect.
- If this is your first time doing business with DOR, you will select Register a new taxpayer. If you have done business in Massachusetts but have not registered with DOR, you will choose Create my username.
- If registering as a new taxpayer, you will now choose the “Register a business” link.
- This page gives you a brief overview of the new business registration, as well as some helpful hints. Once you have finished reading, click Next to proceed.
- Here is where you will select a reason for registering today. In the dropdown, we will choose “I am registering a business, organization, or other entity,” and then click Next.
- Choose your Organization Type and indicate if you are a Non-Profit. We will choose LLC and indicate that we are not a Non-Profit, and then click Next.
- You will enter the start date for your business, as well as your Federal Employer Identification Number and Legal Name of your business, and then click Next.
- Enter the Legal Address of your business. Be sure to click Verify Address and select whether or not your Mailing Address is the same as your Legal Address. Click Next.
- If you would like to enter your bank account information, you can do so here. Otherwise, you can enter your information once you have logged in to your MassTaxConnect account and are ready to make an electronic payment. In this example, we will not enter any information and then click Next.
- We will select the Paid Family and Medical Leave account type and then click Next.
- Enter the date your account should start in the “Enter the date of your first payroll”. If you use a DBA name and/or have a separate address for mailing, enter that information. Answer the questions regarding your estimated workforce. In this example, we will have more than 50% 1099-MISC contractors and less than 25 W-2 employees. If you do not need to register for a Withholding account, click the Withholding Account Not Needed checkbox. Click Next when finished.
- Enter your Owner and Officer information. You may fill out as much information as possible, but be advised that you only need to fill out what is required, which will be indicated by a red asterisk in the top left hand corner of each field. Once you verify your address, click Next.
- Now we will be creating our MassTaxConnect Online Profile. Enter the full name of the person who will be using the account, as well as a phone number, 4-digit PIN, and E-mail address. Once you have completed this, click Next.
- Here is where you will enter a Username and Password, as well as a Secret Question and Answer, which will be used if you are having issues logging in. Once you have completed this, click Next.
- For security purposes, we will send you a one-time use Authentication Code that will be used during login. In this example, we will choose Only by E-mail and then click Next.
- Verify that everything you have entered in the previous pages is correct, and then click Submit.
You have now completed Registering for a Paid Family and Medical Leave Account and created a MassTaxConnect Log in.
All PFML step-by-step videos and instructions (DOR)
- File a return and remit a contribution for Paid Family and Medical Leave
- Opt in and contribute to Paid Family and Medical Leave as a self-employed individual
- Upload a bulk Paid Family and Medical Leave return
- Upload an Excel spreadsheet and make a payment for Paid Family and Medical Leave
- Request a Paid Family and Medical Leave exemption
For all further questions regarding applying for a Private Plan Exemption or registering your account on MassTaxConnect, please contact the Department of Revenue at (617) 466-3950 to speak to a PFML representative.