SNAP verifications: what information you need to provide

Find out what documents or information you will need to provide us to complete the SNAP application process.

As part of the SNAP application process, you need to verify information about you and your household. The more verifications you submit with your application, the sooner we can decide if you are eligible.

Below are the most common examples of verifications.

If there is other information that we need you to verify, we will send you a list of what you need to provide us after your interview. The list will tell you when you need to submit the documents by. You can send us your documents in many ways.

If you are having trouble, let us know.

Required SNAP Verifications

You must show us the following information, if they apply to you or your household, to complete the SNAP application process: 

  • Identity and Social Security Number (SSN) if applying
    We can generally verify this for you if you give us your SSN
  • Massachusetts residency
    • Rent receipt, lease, or utility bill or
    • Deed or mortgage statement
  • Earnings and number of hours worked 
    • Pay stubs or
    • Letter from employer showing gross income and number of hours worked
  • Other income 
    If you get workers’ compensation, Veterans’ benefits, pension, child support, alimony, etc.
    • Benefit or award letter or
    • Check or record of payment​​​

      If you receive income from Social Security Administration (SSA), unemployment income through DUA, or child support through the Department of Revenue (DOR), let us know.
  • Noncitizen status
    • Permanent Resident Card (“green card”)
    • Employment Authorization Card or
    • Other documents showing current or pending immigration status


Ready to submit verifications? See how to submit documents to DTA

Optional SNAP verifications

Things you may show us that may make you eligible for more SNAP benefits:

  • Housing costs *
    • Rent receipt, lease, or letter from your landlord or roommate
    • Mortgage statement, property tax, condo fees, home insurance bill or
    • Other document showing how much you need to pay
  • Utility costs *
    • Bill for heat, air conditioning, electricity, gas or phone
    • Lease showing you pay for utilities or
    • Letter from your landlord or roommate
  • Dependent care costs (child or adult day care costs) *
    • Statement or letter from provider and/or
    • Statement about car mileage or other transportation costs to and from the provider
  • Medical costs
    If you or anyone in your household is age 60 or older or has a certified disability,
    • Bills or receipts for medical costs not covered by insurance such as: co-payments, prescription medication, dental care, eyeglasses, over-the-counter medical items
    • Payments for homemakers, home health aides or other care you need, and/or
    • Statement about care mileage or transportation costs to and from health appointments or pharmacy *

SNAP Medical Expense Outreach Materials: learn more about eligible medical costs, examples of eligible expenses and how to tell DTA about these costs.


  • Child support payments
    Documents showing a legal obligation to pay child support like a court order to someone outside of your household and verification of payment

* You can also verify this cost by listing it on your application or by calling the DTA Assistance Line at 1-877-382-2363. If you verify it this way, we will not need more verification unless we have questions. 

Ready to submit verifications? See how to submit documents to DTA.

Additional Resources

Contact   for SNAP verifications: what information you need to provide


The DTA Assistance Line is open from 8:15 A.M. to 4:45 P.M.


DTA Document Processing Center (617) 887-8765

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.