The Inspector of Buildings or Building Commissioner is the highest ranking individual in the make-up of a building department. All other building officials within a building department's office structure are referred to as Local Inspectors according to the law (although cities and towns may have varied titles for these positions; i.e. assistant inspector, deputy commissioner, etc).
Additionally, MGL Chapter 143 § 3 mandates minimum qualifications for each of these titles. It is imperative that these minimum qualifications are met or exceeded by any individual seeking certification as a building code enforcement official. The Board of Building Regulations and Standards (BBRS) will not issue certification to any individual who is not able to demonstrate compliance with these minimum qualifications. Please reference M.G.L. c. 143 § 3 to become familiar with these qualifications or you may reference the Commonwealth's Application for Certification as a Building Code Enforcement Official, where the qualifications are reiterated.
All applications and forms are available via the links below.
Please contact Kim Spencer at Kimberly.email@example.com or 617-826-5224 with any questions regarding the certification process. Please mail all forms to:
Office of Public Safety and Inspections
Attention: Kimberly Spencer
1000 Washington St., Suite 710
Boston, MA 02118
Examination Approval Form
Step One: Submit this Building Official Certification Exam Approval Form with an up-to-date resume. Approval is required before taking required exams.
Exams & Reference Materials
- Building Official Continuing Education Credit Hours (as of May, 2018)
- Memorandum: Building Code Enforcement Official Certification Important - Must Read
- 780 CMR R7 Certification of Building Officials
- Laws and Regulations 780 CMR R7 Certification of Building Officials :
- Required Exams and Reference Materials February 2017:
- Exam Registration and Candidate Bulletin
Additional Resources for
Application & Continuing Education
- Application for Certification: Submit this after successfully completing the steps for each level of certification.
- Extension of Time Request: Conditional appointees may use this to request a time extension to comply with the examination process: after 12 months for Local Inspector; after 18 months for Inspector of Buildings.
- Continuing Education Policy: For all certified building officials. Conditional appointees must attain 1-hour of education each month of employment until completing the required examination schedule.
- Attachment A: Attendance Sheet
- Sign In Sheet
- Sign Out Sheet
- Attachment B: Continuing Education Credit Application Form
- Attachment C: Training Report Discrepancy Form
Forms for City and Town Clerks
- On-line training offered by Simpson Strong-Tie
- You will need to create a Simpson Profile on the site including your MA Building Official ID (MAID)
Energy Code Training
- Performance Systems Development is Mass Save's lead vendor for the Energy Code Technical Support initiative in cooperation with the Board of Building Regulations and Standards.