related to

Get ready to file your Massachusetts personal income tax return

Filing your tax return doesn’t have to be stressful. Learn what you need to get ready to file.

What to know

A little preparation can go a long way. Knowing what you need to complete your tax return will make filing easier. Check major tax changes and gather your tax information to save time.

Check tax changes

Review the Massachusetts personal income tax law changes for 2019 for tax law changes that may affect you.

Tax changes to remember:

  • Deadline to file your Massachusetts taxes is April 15, 2020

Gather all your tax records and documents

You may need the following:

  • Copies of last year’s federal and state tax returns
  • Personal information including:
    • Legal name(s)
    • Birth date(s)
    • Social Security number(s)
  • Records of your earnings (W-2 forms from each employer or 1099-MISC forms if you’re a contractor)
  • Records of interest and dividends from banks (1099 forms: 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, etc.)
  • Proof of health insurance (1099-HC, 1095-B, etc.)
  • Records of tuition payments and student loan interest paid (1098-T)
  • Records of received Social Security benefits (SSA-1099)
  • Record of received pension or annuity (1099-R)
  • Unemployment compensation statements (1099-G)
  • Total child care expenses and child care provider information, including:
    • Legal name(s)
    • Employer ID
    • Social Security number(s)
  • Total rent paid, as well as landlord or rental agent’s name and address
  • Receipts or canceled checks for items such as:
    • Medical expenses
    • Mortgage interest
    • Charitable contributions if you’re itemizing deductions
  • Bank account and bank routing numbers if having a refund direct deposited.

More info

Employers, banks, and investment firms have until the end of January to send you records such as W-2 forms and 1099-DIV statements. If you don’t receive your W-2, you should contact your employer.

If you file your taxes before receiving all your employment and income statements, you will have to file an amended return.