offered by
related to

How To File An Insurance Complaint

Insurance Complaints

Instructions for filing a complaint against an Insurer, Agent, or Appraiser


Consumer Services responds to inquiries and intervenes on behalf of consumers to resolve complaints against insurers, agents, and other licensees. Consumer Service provides consumers with general insurance information and advises them, when appropriate, of their rights under their insurance policy and the applicable Massachusetts insurance laws.

Consumer Service can only help you obtain rights and benefits that you are entitled to under your insurance contract and the Massachusetts insurance laws. We help consumers determine if we have any jurisdiction, and if not, let them know where help might be found.

If you are represented by an attorney, do not complete the Insurance Complaint form.

Consumer Service is not authorized to intervene between attorneys and their clients, nor do we perform work on behalf of attorneys. We are not authorized to render legal opinions.

If your complaint involves a workers compensation claim, do not complete this form. Please contact The Division of Industrial Accidents.  They may be reached at 617-727-4900 or 1-800-323-3249.


For us to assist you requires your cooperation. That is why we ask you to give certain key information such as the name of the insurance companies and agents involved, your policy and claim numbers as well as the names and phone numbers of the people you have been dealing with. Please complete the attached and include copies of any materials relating to your insurance complaint (i.e. bills, explanation of benefits sheets, vehicle appraisals, police reports).

Please be aware that complaints filed are not confidential. Consumer Service will send a copy of your complaint and any related materials to any company, agent or licensee involved in this matter.

If your situation involves health insurance, you should be aware that many health plans such as "ERISA" plans and "self-funded" plans are regulated by the federal government. The benefits coordinator at your place of employment can tell you what kind of health plan you are in and direct you to the appropriate source of help. If this is an employer sponsored health plan, the employer must fill out the form on behalf of the group.

We understand that insurance matters can be complex, often confusing, and sometimes lead to frustration. While we cannot resolve every situation, Consumer Service is available to help you in resolving your complaint.