Transportation to the VA and Other Medical Facilities
- Your local transit authority – many serve VA facilities and other key destinations and offer discounts for veterans. This brochure includes information about public transit services for veterans in Massachusetts.
- Long-distance medical shuttles (scroll down)
- Beneficiary travel reimbursements to eligible beneficiaries for some transportation-related costs from the Veterans Health Administration
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Volunteer VA Hospital Transportation: Volunteer drivers provide transportation to VA care. Contact the VA hospital transportation coordinator with trip requests
- VA shuttles from the Bedford, Boston, and Northampton facilities
- Norfolk County volunteer driver program
- Nathan Hale offers transportation from the Plymouth area to the Brockton, Jamaica Plain, and West Roxbury VA Centers
- Veterans and Families Call Center: Soldier On and the Berkshire Regional Transit Authority partner to provide transportation to veterans and their families in Berkshire County. Transportation is available Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM to the VA Medical Centers at Leeds, MA and Albany, NY, the Pittsfield outpatient clinic, medical appointments, work, education, and shopping. Veterans and their families in need of transportation can contact the Veterans Families Transportation Call Center by calling (413) 418-4300 or toll free at (855) 483-8734.
- VetRides transports veterans who live in Hudson, Maynard, or Stow to medical appointments in the local area or in Boston free of charge. To learn more or request a ride, contact Brian Stearns at (978) 568-9635 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- More healthcare transportation services in Massachusetts
Transportation to Other Destinations
- Automobiles and Special Adaptive Equipment Grants: one-time payment from the Veterans Benefits Administration for purchasing a car or installing adaptive equipment
- Find more transportation options in Massachusetts
Help Arranging Transportation
- Veterans’ Service Officers serve each town in Massachusetts and can help you look for transportation
- MassVetsAdvisor provides information about benefits for veterans and their families in Massachusetts
- Veteran Outreach Centers may provide transportation services
- The Veterans’ Workforce Investment Program (VWIP) can provide transportation assistance related to finding a job
- The Massachusetts Department of Veterans' Services offers a range of services for veterans
- Veterans Template-- fill this out with information about services in your town and post it where veterans will see it. Example from Westford
- Information for employers on hiring veterans
- Report on state activities to help veterans access transportation in Massachusetts and across the country