DMH Frequently Asked Questions


The list below contains answers for some of the most frequently asked questions regarding the Department of Mental Health. If your question is not answered below, please email for assistance. Your email will be responded to within 48 business hours. You can also leave a message including your name, age, town where services are requested, and a brief description of the nature of your request on the DMH Information and Resource Line Voicemail Box at (800) 221-0053 (pueden dejar mensajes en español también) and your call will be returned within 48 hours. 


For Emergency/Crisis Services, visit the Massachusetts Behavioral Health Partnership (MBHP) or call (877) 382-1609

Do I Qualify for DMH Services?

DMH services are available to anyone meets the Clinical Criteria for DMH Services outlined under 104 CMR 29.  DMH provides mental health services to individuals with severe and persistent mental illness. Applications for services are available online, but it is strongly recommended to contact your insurance provider about mental health services before taking the time to apply for DMH services. For more information on eligibility for DMH services, please see our "Am I Eligible?" page. 

DMH does fund local Recovery Learning Communities  (RLCs) - consumer-run networks of self help/peer support, and information and referral - across the Commonwealth which are free and open to everyone (no need to apply for sevices). You're welcome to drop in. Also check out our Resource Guides for information on resources that may be available to you. 

How Do I Apply for DMH Services?

If you meet the Clinical Criteria for DMH Services outlined in 104 CMR 29, you may be eligible for services through the Department of Mental Health. You can apply by filling out an application and submitting it to the Department of Mental Health. More information on how to apply:

How to apply for DMH Services

I Am Seeking Services for an Individual with Autism or Asperger's, Should I Apply for DMH Services?

You should contact the Massachusetts Department of Developmental Services (DDS) first. There are instances where individuals with Autism or Asperger's are eligible for DMH services as well, but DDS is the best starting point for obtaining services.

Related: View our DMH Child, Youth, and Family Services Overview & DMH Adult Services Overview

How can I Check the Status of My Application?

The fastest and easiest way to do this is to contact the office you submitted your application to and call it using the phone number on the table below. If you're not sure which office your application was submitted to, find your town on this list, click it, and call the office you are directed to. 


Mailing Address

Phone Number


85 East Newton Street, Boston, MA 02118

(617) 626-9200


165 Quincy Street, Brockton, MA 02302

(508) 897-2000


1 Prince Street, Northampton, MA 01060

(413) 587-6200


P.O. Box 387, Tewksbury, MA 01876-0387

(978) 863-5000


361 Plantation Street, Worcester, MA 01605

(774) 420-3140

My Diagnosis Isn't Covered by DMH, Who Else Can I Contact?

If you are not eligible for DMH services, you have a number of options. Start by contacting MassHealth to see if you're eligible for other Commonwealth healthcare services. Contact the Department of Developmental Services (DDS)  for Autism, Asperger's, and other developmental services. The Department of Public Health (DPH) provides substance abuse services as well as vital resources for suicide prevention. 

The Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS or EHS) provides a vast array of human services to citizens of the Commonwealth. 

If you have applied for DMH services and that request was denied, you can follow these guidelines to appeal the determination. 

Is There a Local DMH Office That I Can Contact for Assistance?

Yes! In fact, contacting your local site office is often the fastest way to obtain the information you're looking for. DMH has over 30 offices and facilities across the state. You can find a complete detailed directory on the DMH website. If you're unsure which DMH Office covers your city or town, click your town on this list to be directed to the right office. You can also look at the map below to see which service area your community is listed under. 

Additional Resources

How Do I Access Medical Records?

Go to the DMH Medical Records Request Page and choose the option that best suits your request (requesting your own records, or requesting records for a deceased family member).

How Do I Verify My Employment or a Potential New Hire's Employment with DMH?

To obtain verification of employment at DMH (or any other state agency), you need to contact the Human Resources Division (this is a separate agency, not part of DMH). 

How Do I Obtain Health Insurance?

If you'd like some assistance obtaining health or dental insurance through a private provider, start by visiting the Massachusetts Health Connector

If you would like to apply for MassHealth, visit the MassHealth website for more information. 

How Do I Obtain Licensing Information?

DMH licenses Acute Inpatient Behavioral Healthcare Facilities (More Info), as well as some Group Living Environments (GLEs) (More Info). 

Most other licensing inquiries should be directed to the Board of Registration in Medicine, the Department of Public Health's Healthcare Facility Licensure Division or the Bureau of Health Professions Licensure

I am a member of the press and have an inquiry, who do I contact?

For press related inquiries, please contact Glenda Hazard, the DMH Director of Communications. To request a public record, or find frequently requested documents, please visit the DMH Public Records page

What Services Does DMH Offer?

DMH offers a range of services to individuals who meet the criteria for service authorization. Please choose from the overviews of services below.

Additional Resources

Where Can I Find More Information About Local Resources and Services?

Check out the DMH Resource Guides and Emergency Services page for more information. 

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.