Who we serve
The regulation of the natural gas industry in Massachusetts requires the Gas Division to review a gas distribution company's:
- Forecast and supply plan filings
- Long-term supply contracts
- Non-tariffed contracts for the sale and transportation of natural gas
- Energy efficiency programs
- Cost of Gas Adjustment filings that determine the rates customers are charged for the gas commodity
In addition, the Gas Division monitors the market at the regional and national level to ensure that the Massachusetts consumers continue to receive the economic and environmental benefits that natural gas has to offer.
Finally, the Gas Division is in charge of ensuring that the natural gas market in Massachusetts remains competitive at the retail level.
For the Department's regulation of gas pipeline safety and Dig Safe, please visit the Pipeline Safety Division.