Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC)

Cash assistance for families is called TAFDC, which stands for Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children.

Does your family need help getting by for a while? If you have children or are a pregnant woman and have little to no income or assets, you may be eligible to receive temporary cash assistance called Transitional Aid to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC). If you qualify for TAFDC, you get 2 payments per month to help pay for the basic needs of your family members if they are U.S. citizens or have certain legal noncitizen status. The amount you get is based on your income and the size of your family. You also will receive health insurance (MassHealth). For many families TAFDC benefits are limited to 2 years. You may be eligible for job training and payments for child care and transportation so that you can go to school or find work before the time limit on TAFDC benefits runs out. If you are homeless, the Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) can direct you to services for safe, affordable housing. If you are dealing with domestic violence, a health condition, or drug addiction, DTA will connect you with the support you need.


Tell us what you think