The Agnes M. Lindsay Scholarship provides scholarships for students with demonstrated financial need who are from rural areas of Massachusetts and attend public institutions of higher education within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Who Is Eligible?
A student qualifies if they are enrolled in an eligible program and meet the following requirements:
- Be a permanent legal resident of Massachusetts for at least one year prior to the opening of the academic year.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or non-citizen eligible under Title IV regulations.
- Have applied for financial aid, using the standard Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Be in compliance with Selective Service Registration.
- Not be in default of any federal or state Student Loans for attendance at any institution or owe a refund for any previous financial aid received.
- Be enrolled full time (at least 12 credits or its equivalent) in a certificate, associate’s or bachelor’s degree program at an eligible institution.
- Not have received a prior bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.
- Be maintaining satisfactory academic progress in accordance with institutional and federal standards.
- Demonstrate financial aid need as determined by the federal methodology need analysis criteria.
- Be a permanent resident of a Massachusetts "rural" area.*
- *Rural area shall be defined as an area which is outside an urban area and has fewer than 15,000 inhabitants.
An eligible institution shall mean any public college or university in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as defined under Section 5 of Chapter 15A of General Laws, with the exception of the University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
Individual student awards for an award period may vary.
How to Apply
Each institution may nominate up to five eligible candidates on an annual basis. Nominations then must be submitted by the Financial Aid Director as a package to the DHE’s Office of Student Financial Assistance. The package will include a completed student application, an accompanying statement from each student and the appropriate certification from the Financial Aid Director.
For more information on the Agnes M. Lindsay Scholarship Program, contact the DHE’s Office of Student Financial Assistance at 617-391-6070.