- This page, Pittsfield State Forest, is offered by
- Department of Conservation & Recreation
Pittsfield State Forest
Details of Pittsfield State Forest
Overview of Pittsfield State Forest
Hours for Pittsfield State Forest
Sunrise to sunset
Parking at Pittsfield State Forest
Activities at Pittsfield State Forest
HikingExplore 30 miles of trails for all levels of experience. From the Taconic Crest to the Tranquility, you're sure to find an adventure that's right for you.
CampingPlenty of campsites are available for your stay. Looking for adventure? Set up camp atop Berry Mountain.
All Activities at Pittsfield State Forest
- Mountain biking
- Canoeing and kayaking
- Boating (non-motorized)
- Horseback riding
- Educational programs
- Off-road vehicles
- Cross-country skiing
Facilities at Pittsfield State Forest
Accessibility at Pittsfield State Forest
- Accessible education programs
- Accessible hiking trails (Tranquility Trail, .75 miles)
- Accessible picnicking
- Accessible restrooms
- Accessible skiing
Restrictions at Pittsfield State Forest
- No alcohol
- No littering
- Keep on marked trails
- Make sure your boat and equipment are clean before launching
- OHV’s must be registered in Massachusetts in order to ride.
- Dogs must remain on-leash in campground and recreation area, allowed off-leash on trails
All-terrain vehicles (ATVs)
- No ATV or OHV parking at Balance Rock State Park
- No ATV parking at Lulu Brook
- No ATV parking or riding on park roadways
- Parking is available at Potter Mt. Road Trailhead.
- Parking Area on Rt. 20 in Hancock is available for ATVs and OHVs
- ATVs must be kept on a trailer or vehicle at all times when not in use.
More info for Pittsfield State Forest
Be sure to visit nearby Balance Rock State Park, located in the northeastern corner of the forest. Here you'll find a 165-ton boulder balancing itself on bedrock.
Camping is $17/night for Massachusetts residents and $54/night for non-residents. Group camping is $35/night for Massachusetts residents and $100/night for non-residents.
- Berry Pond Campground
- 13 rustic campsites atop Berry Mountain
- Parker Brook Campground
- 19 campsites at the mountain base
- Bishop Field
- 6 open-field campsites
Group camping is available at:
- Bishop Field (up to 20 people)
- Lulu Brook (up to 50 people)