To request any unemployment benefit payments you've applied for, whether that be Unemployment Insurance (UI) or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA), you're required to certify your unemployment status every week in order to continue receiving your benefits.
Sunday is the first day of the week you'll be able to request your benefits for the prior week. You're able to request benefits for the prior week at any time beginning on Sunday through Saturday of the current week.
You're required to certify and request benefits weekly, even in cases where your eligibility is still being decided upon or you have an ongoing appeal pending. If you're approved for benefits, you'll only receive payment for the weeks you've requested.
Certifying weekly benefits for Unemployment Insurance (UI)
When certifying online, we strongly recommend using a laptop or desktop computer.
To certify online:
- Log into your UI Online Account.
- Select "Request benefit payment" on your account's homepage.
- Follow the prompts to request a benefit payment.
- Print the confirmation page for your records.
To certify by phone:
- Call the TeleCert line at (617) 626-6338. The TeleCert hours at 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
- Have the following information available:
- Your Social Security number
- Your TeleCert 4-digit PIN. If you don't have one, review our guide on how to create one.
- Your wages earned if you worked during the week you're claiming.
- Answer the prompts.
- Stay on the line until you are told that your weekly claim filing is completed.
Certifying weekly benefits for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)
If you're requesting benefits through PUA you're required to certify and request your benefits weekly as long as your work continues to be impacted by COVID-19.
Benefits and eligibility can be certified by logging into your Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) account.
For PUA, weekly benefits, including any increase to your weekly benefit amount, will be retroactive to January 27, 2020, or the date when you became unemployed, whichever is more recent, as long as you became unable to work because of a COVID-19 related reason.
Please note that, initially, the system can only pay benefits retroactively to the week ending March 14, 2020. Eligible workers will be able to certify for and to request benefits retroactively to January 27, 2020 if their dates of unemployment make them eligible.