DPU gas supply team
The Details of Renew a gas supplier or retail agent license
What you need for Renew a gas supplier or retail agent license
Gas suppliers and retail agents should mail:
- the complete original application (answer all questions fully and do not write "no change" in response to a question)
- a $100 check made out to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (we cannot accept other forms of payment)
Gas suppliers and retail agents must also email an electronic copy of the application to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com. The electronic version must not be secure so that the document can be edited. Please do not use the trusted certificate feature in Adobe nor docverify.
If you are requesting that some information in the application be kept confidential, you must also provide:
- a motion for protective treatment
- an unredacted copy of the materials for which protection is sought (with each page as marked confidential)
- a redacted (or public) copy of the materials
If you failed to submit a license renewal application by September 1, you must attach the explanatory statement to the license renewal application.
Fees for Renew a gas supplier or retail agent license
|Gas supplier and retail agent license application
|per license application
How to renew Renew a gas supplier or retail agent license
Download the applicable form below and mail all of the information to:
Department of Public Utilities
c/o Mark D. Marini, Secretary
One South Station, 3rd floor
Boston, MA 02110
You must also email an electronic copy of the application to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next steps for Renew a gas supplier or retail agent license
After reviewing your application, we will contact the regulatory contact listed on the application by phone or email if we have any questions. The regulatory contact will also receive the approved renewal letter via email.
More info for Renew a gas supplier or retail agent license
- When is my renewal license due?
- You must submit an annual renewal license to the DPU by July 1 of each year.
- Can I submit my renewal application early?
- Yes, you may submit your application a few weeks early (no sooner than May 15).
- How can I confirm whether my renewal application was received?
- Please do not ask DPU staff if your application was received. Instead, do the following 2 things:
- When will I receive my renewal application approval?
- All the renewal applications were received at the same time. It will take us some time to process them all. Please do not ask us about the status of a renewal application before October 15.
- Can a renewal application be submitted for an expired license?
- No. If the license has expired, you must submit a new application.
- How can I get a copy of last year's application?
- How does a gas supplier or retail agent know whether it is approved to serve residential customers?
- The DPU’s list of licensed gas suppliers and retail agents will indicate whether you are licensed to serve residential customers. If there is an “R” in the RCI column on the same line as the Company’s name, then the competitive supplier or retail agent is licensed to serve residential customers.
- Does the renewal license application need to be notarized?
- Yes, both the paper and the electronic copy of the renewal license application must be notarized.