Visit the RMV's Online Service Center for over 40 transactions that can be completed online and skip the trip to the RMV.
Work and Family Mobility Act
Starting July 1, 2023 eligible residents in Massachusetts can obtain a Standard (Class D or M) driver's license, regardless of immigration status, under the Work and Family Mobility Act.
The RMV will continue to require applicants to prove their identity, date of birth, and Massachusetts residency. All drivers will still be required to pass a learner's permit exam, vision screening, and a road test.
WMFA only changes identity requirements for Standard (Class D or M) driver's licenses. All Standard Driver's Licenses will continue to have "NOT FOR FEDERAL ID" printed on the card.
Requirements for other credentials and voter registration remain the same.
What would you like to do?
- New to Massachusetts?
- Register and Title Your Vehicle
- Passenger (Class D) Driver's Licenses
- Disability Plates and Placards
- RMV Forms and Manuals
- Commercial Driver's Licenses (CDL)
- RMV-issued Identification Cards
- Suspension Hearings
- Driving and other violations
- Traffic Tickets
- Alcohol and Drug Suspensions
- Motorcycle (Class M) Driver's Licenses
- Vehicle Registration
- Military and Veteran RMV Information
- Tips for RMV Success
- RMV Professional Certifications & Credentials
- Medical Standards Related to Driving
- Registry of Motor Vehicles PRR
- RMV Records Requests
- Merit Rating Board (MRB)
- Vehicle Certificate of Title
- Salvage Vehicles and Titles
- Section 5 - General Registrations
- International Registration Plan (IRP)
- Massachusetts Vehicle Check