Interactive data dashboard
As most beaches in the state have closed to swimming for the remainder of 2023, this dashboard will begin updating again on May 27, 2024
Using the Dashboard
There are three different views which can be accessed using the three tabs at the top of the Dashboard.
- See All Closures
- See Test Results
- See All Beaches (Map)
See All Closures
This view provides a full list of all beaches currently closed for swimming. Translations of the beach closure list can be found here: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/current-public-beach-postings
See Test Results
This section displays bacterial sampling results and the current status of a particular beach. To select a beach:
- Under Select Town, choose a town. Beaches in the selected town will appear in the Select Beach section. Open beach locations will be labeled as Open 👍🏽 and closed beach locations will be labeled as ⛔️ Closed.
- Under Select Beach, choose a beach. Bacterial testing results for the selected beach will be displayed in the upper right panel. The lower right panel displays the geometric mean of the bacterial sample results for the selected beach.
See All Beaches (Map)
This section displays an interactive map of all beaches in Massachusetts, represented as colored dots on the map. Hovering over a dot on the map will display the name, town, closure status, and water type (marine or freshwater) for that beach. The color of the beach dot corresponds with the current status of the beach:
- GREEN = Open
- RED = Closed for swimming
- ORANGE = Partially closed
- BLACK = Off-season
To select a beach using the town and beach lists:
- Select a town from the Town section.
- Select the name of a beach from the Beach section. The chosen beach will be highlighted on the map and its status will be shown in the map legend.
- MDPH Bathing Beach Resources
- Frequently asked questions about beach water quality
- See previous years’ beach water quality
Who can I contact if I have more questions?
Please contact the Bureau of Environmental Health at (617) 624-5757.