- St. 2020, c.53, §§ 15-16 Eases some meeting requirements during COVID-19
- MGL c.155 Corporations: General Provisions
- MGL c.156 Business Corporations
- MGL c.156A Professional Corporations
- MGL c.156B Certain Business Corporations
- MGL c.156C Limited Liability Companies
- MGL c.156D Massachusetts Business Corporation Act
- MGL c.156E Benefit Corporations
- MGL c.157 Cooperative Corporations
- MGL c.157A Employee Cooperative Corporations
- MGL c.157B Cooperative Housing Corporations
- MGL c.158 Certain Miscellaneous Corporations
- MGL c.265, § 13 Corporate manslaughter
950 CMR 113 The Massachusetts Business Corporation Act, MGL c. 156D
Selected case law
1A Auto, Inc. v. Director of the Office of Campaign and Political Finance, 480 Mass. 423 (2018)
Under G.L. c. 55, § 8, corporations may not make contributions to political candidates or their campaigns.
Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, 558 U.S. 310 (2010)
"The Government may not suppress political speech on the basis of the speaker's corporate identity. No sufficient governmental interest justifies limits on the political speech of nonprofit or for-profit corporations."
Varney Enterprises, Inc. v. WMF, Inc., 402 Mass. 79 (1988)
"In this case, we hold that, except for small claim matters, a corporation may not be represented in judicial proceedings by a corporate officer who is not an attorney licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth." The case interprets MGL c.221 s.46, Practice of law by corporations; prohibition; exception.
- About Service of Process, Mass. Secretary of State
Describes how to serve foreign corporations.
- Corporations Book, Mass. Division of Local Services
- Provides a listing of for-profit corporations doing business in Massachusetts
- Corporate records handbook, Nolo, 2019
When records are required and how to keep them. Requires free library card for access.
- Corporations Division, Mass. Secretary of State
Online access to file forms and requirements to do so
- Doing Business in Massachusetts: A Guide to U.S. and Massachusetts Law for Non-U.S. Businesses, Foley Hoag, LLP, 2016
Covers everything from forms of business to employment, real estate, financing, taxation, antitrust, immigration, and more
- Forming a Corporation in Massachusetts, Digital Media Law Project
A great step-by-step guide to forming a Mass. corporation, with links to forms and key publications.
- Incorporate your business: a legal guide to forming a corporation in your state, Nolo, 2019
Includes information on how corporations work, corporate taxes, dealing with lawyers and accountants and more. Requires free library card for access.
- Small Business, USA.gov
Great site for business planning and management. Includes resources for starting a business, paying taxes, managing employees, and much more. Also provides guidance for particular types of business owners, such as women, veterans, and minorities. Extremely broad and deep coverage of small business issues.
- Benefit Corporations: New Legislation: Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 156E Effective December 1, 2012, Mass. Secretary of State
Explains the law in a question and answer format
- Virtue, Inc.: Can the New Benefit Corporation Charters Give Companies a Conscience?, Boston Globe, November 2012
Details the law and its purpose and uses
- Every nonprofit's tax guide, Nolo, 2020
"Turn to this book whenever you have a question about IRS rules or nonprofit compliance issues." Requires library card for access.
- Forming a Nonprofit Corporation in Massachusetts, Digital Media Law Project
Outlines the steps to forming a nonprofit corporation in Massachusetts
- How to form a nonprofit corporation, Nolo, 2019
How to structure your nonprofit, get tax exempt status and organize your corporation. Requires library card for access.
- Starting and Building a Nonprofit, Nolo, 2019
Naming and structuring your nonprofit -- Developing your strategic plan -- Developing your initial budget -- Your board of directors -- Your workforce: staff and volunteers -- Fundraising -- Risk management and insurance -- Understanding contracts and agreements -- Marketing your nonprofit -- Publishing informational materials -- Spreading the word online about your nonprofit -- Managing your finances -- Getting professional help. Requires library card for access.
Massachusetts Business Lawyering, MCLE , loose-leaf
Massachusetts Corporation Law and Practice, Wolters Kluwer, loose-leaf
Massachusetts Corporations and Other Business Entities, Lexis, with supplement
Massachusetts Practice v. 13, Business Corporations, with Forms, West Group, annual
Massachusetts Nonprofit Organizations, MCLE, loose-leaf
Practical Guide to Massachusetts Closely Held Business Organizations, MCLE, loose-leaf
|Last updated:||April 15, 2020|