- MGL c.155 Corporations: general provisions
- MGL c.156 Business corporations
- MGL c.156A Professional corporations
- MGL c.156B Certain business corporations
- MGL c.156C Limited liability companies
- MGL c.156D Massachusetts Business Corporation Act
- MGL c.156E Benefit corporations
- MGL c.157 Cooperative corporations
- MGL c.157A Employee cooperative corporations
- MGL c.157B Cooperative housing corporations
- MGL c.158 Certain miscellaneous corporations
- MGL c.265, § 13 Corporate manslaughter
950 CMR 113 Massachusetts Business Corporation Act, MGL c. 156D
Selected case law
1A Auto, Inc. v. Director of the Office of Campaign and Political Finance, 480 Mass. 423 (2018)
Under G.L. c. 55, § 8, corporations may not make contributions to political candidates or their campaigns.
Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, 558 U.S. 310 (2010)
"The Government may not suppress political speech on the basis of the speaker's corporate identity. No sufficient governmental interest justifies limits on the political speech of nonprofit or for-profit corporations."
Varney Enterprises, Inc. v. WMF, Inc., 402 Mass. 79 (1988)
"In this case, we hold that, except for small claim matters, a corporation may not be represented in judicial proceedings by a corporate officer who is not an attorney licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth." The case interprets MGL c.221 s.46, Practice of law by corporations; prohibition; exception.
- About service of process, Mass. Secretary of State.
Describes how to serve foreign corporations.
- Closing your business, Mass Dept. of Revenue.
When you close your business you must cancel your registration with both the federal government and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by following the applicable procedures.
- Corporations book, Mass. Division of Local Services.
Provides a listing of for-profit corporations doing business in Massachusetts.
- Corporations Division, Mass. Secretary of State.
Online access to file forms and requirements to do so.
- Doing business in Massachusetts: A guide to U.S. and Massachusetts law for non-U.S. businesses, Foley Hoag, LLP, January 28, 2016.
Covers everything from forms of business to employment, real estate, financing, taxation, antitrust, immigration, and more.
- May a minor form a corporation? Dana H. Shultz, 2012.
- Small business, USA.gov.
Great site for business planning and management. Includes resources for starting a business, paying taxes, managing employees, and much more. Also provides guidance for particular types of business owners, such as women, veterans, and minorities. Extremely broad and deep coverage of small business issues.
- Benefit corporations: New Legislation: Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 156E Effective December 1, 2012, Mass. Secretary of State.
Explains the law in a question and answer format.
- Virtue, Inc.: Can the new benefit corporation charters give companies a conscience?, Boston Globe, November 2012.
Details the law and its purpose and uses.
Business corporations, with forms, (Mass. Practice v. 13) West Group, annual.
The corporate records handbook : meetings, minutes & resolutions by Anthony Mancuso, Nolo, 2019.
Every nonprofit's tax guide : how to keep your tax-exempt status & avoid IRS problems, by Stephen Fishman, Nolo, 2018.
How to form a nonprofit corporation, by Anthony Mancuso, Nolo, 2021.
Incorporate your business by Anthony Mancuso, Nolo, 2021.
Massachusetts corporation law and practice, Wolters Kluwer, loose-leaf.
Massachusetts corporations and other business entities, Lexis, with supplement.
Massachusetts nonprofit organizations, MCLE, loose-leaf.
Practical guide to Massachusetts closely held business organizations, MCLE, loose-leaf.
Starting & building a nonprofit : a practical guide, by Peri H. Pakroo, Nolo, 2021.
|Last updated:||October 14, 2022|