Board of Registration of Massage Therapy
This is the agency that licenses massage therapists. Contains links to licensing information and forms.
NOTICE: Division of Professional Licensure resumed in-person customer service June 15, 2021
- MGL c.13, § 98 Board of Registration of Massage Therapy
- MGL c.13, § 99 Powers and duties of Board of Registration of Massage Therapy
- MGL c.112 :
- § 227 Definitions. Defines what massage therapy is, and what it is not
- § 228 Licensing of massage therapists
- § 229 Application for massage therapist license; renewal
- § 230 Reciprocal licenses for massage therapists
- § 231 Requirements for licensing of massage therapists from other jurisdictions
- § 232 Unethical or unprofessional conduct
- § 233 Licensing of massage therapy schools
- § 234 Regulations by board
- § 235 Advertising by massage therapists
- MGL c.140, § 51 Local boards of health may regulate other fields (such as bodywork therapy) not licensed as massage therapy
269 CMR Board of Registration of Massage Therapists
Selected case law
Duggan v. Town of N. Attleborough, 27 LCR 483 (2019), MISC-18-000007
A licensed massage therapist is a “professional” within the scope of grandfathering for use as “professional office space.”
Massage therapy applications and forms
Includes instructions on how to become a licensed massage therapist.
American Massage Therapy Association Massachusetts chapter law and legislation update
Recent and proposed legislative changes as summarized by a local chapter of a national massage therapists’ organization.
Check a professional massage therapist’s license online
Under “Licensing Entity”, choose “Board of Registration of Massage Therapy” in the pull-down menu to search for over 9,500 currently licensed massage therapists.
Exempted individuals (massage therapy)
List of bodywork therapists exempted from registration with the Board of Registration of Massage Therapists. Local boards of health may regulate fields not licensed as Massage Therapy.
Massage & bodywork state licensing requirements, MassageTherapy.com.
Provides handy access to regulations from other states.
Preemption of local boards of health from licensing and regulating massage therapists, Division of Professional Licensure, January 30, 2008.
Local Boards of Health in cities and towns can no longer license or regulate massage therapists.
|Last updated:||October 28, 2022|