Automobile Insurance, Mass. Office of Consumer Affairs
Includes Buying Auto Insurance, Mandatory Coverages, Discounts, Surcharge Appeals, Insurance Cancellation Appeals, RMV appeals, and more.
211 CMR 74 Standards of fault to be used by the Board of Appeal on Motor Vehicle Liability Policies and Bonds and insurers in presuming fault when making at fault determinations
Lists motor vehicle accident "situations in which fault is presumed to be more than 50%."
211 CMR 79 Private passenger motor vehicle insurance rates
Managed competition insurance rate regulations cover policies with renewal dates beginning April 1, 2008
211 CMR 88 Procedures for the appeal of Safe Driver Insurance Plan (SDIP) motor vehicle accident surcharges and for conduct of SDIP motor vehicle accident surcharge hearings
211 CMR 134 Safe driver insurance plan
Lists minor and major traffic accidents and offenses which subject the violator to "points" on their auto insurance
211 CMR 135 Requirements regarding referrals to motor vehicle glass repair shops
Selected case law
Oliviera v. Commerce Insurance Co., 94 Mass. App. Ct. 276 (2018)
Detailed discussion of the meaning of the phrase "related by blood" in auto insurance coverage for a household member.
- Auto and Vehicle Insurance, Mass. Attorney General
Includes New Auto Insurance System, Shopping for Auto Insurance, Discounts Under the New System, and more.
- Guide to Navigating the Auto Claims Maze: Getting the Settlement You Deserve, Consumer Federation of America
Includes "How to get your vehicle fixed at a repair shop of your choosing, not one chosen by your insurance company; how to contact insurance regulators if your insurance company doesn't resolve your claim to your satisfaction, and how to protect your personal information."
- How Do I Appeal an At-Fault Accident?
Surcharge Appeal information from the Mass. DOT and Mass. Registry of Motor Vehicles
- Auto Insurance Premium Comparisons, Mass. Division of Insurance
Shows sample rates for certain scenarios and towns
- SDIP and Your Auto Insurance Policy, Mass. Dept. of Transportation. "The Safe Driver Insurance Plan (SDIP) may be applied to specific policies to adjust insurance premiums based on the operator's driving record."
- Ways to Save on Your Automobile Insurance, Mass. Office of Consumer Affairs. Explains in simple English the choices available for coverage, including collision, comprehensive, and more.
- Automobile Liability Insurance Update, MCLE, 2011
- Streetwise: A Beginner's Guide to Handling Motor Vehicle Accidents, Mass. Bar Institute, 2009
|Last updated:||November 6, 2018|