Massachusetts executive orders
Executive Order 572: To promote the testing and deployment of highly automated driving technologies, October 2016.
Establishes a Special Working Group on Autonomous Vehicles to study and make recommendations for regulation of self-driving vehicles
- AAA Digest of motor laws, AAA.
An "online compendium of laws and rules related to driving and owning a motor vehicle in the United States and Canada." Select a topic such as window tinting, seatbelts, registration, and more, and get easy access to the laws for all 50 states.\
- Auto warranties & routine maintenance, Federal Trade Commission.
"Can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?" The FTC says no.
- Autos and transportation, Mass. Office of Consumer Affairs.
Includes Lemon Laws, Buying and Selling, Auto Repair, Auto Insurance, and more.
- Buying and owning a car, Federal Trade Commission.
In addition to generic consumer information, includes information on rental car agreements, warranties, and repossession.
- Citizen's guide to the removal of motor vehicles from private property, Nantucket Police Department.
Explains the process for private citizens to follow in removing vehicles from their property.
Buying, selling, leasing, and donating
- Buying a used car, Mass. Legal Help
Provides a detailed description of the steps involved in buying a used car: what to look for, how to negotiate, elements of a contract, and more.
- Donating a car to charity, Mass. Attorney General
Provides "tips to consider when deciding whether to donate your car to charity."
- New car buying guide, Consumer Reports, 2019
"We give you the essential information you need to choose, buy, finance, and maintain a new car."
- Should you buy or lease your car?, Mass. Legal Help
Helpful information on deciding if a purchase or lease is best for you.
- Used car buying guide, Consumer Reports, 2019
" This guide provides the essential information you need to choose a used car with a good reliability history, sell your old car, and get the best price."
Equipment and modifications
- The guide to legal car modifications in Massachusetts, Your Mechanic, 2016.
"From sounds to classic cars, the following information will make sure you know what to expect from the Massachusetts car modification laws."
- Massachusetts lift laws and vehicle equipment laws, Lift laws.com
Includes information on lifts, tires, and other vehicle modifications.
- A dealer's guide to the Massachusetts used vehicle warranty law, Mass. Office of Consumer Affairs
Extensive (over 50 page) guide to "ensure that new dealers coming into the marketplace are aware of their obligations under the law." Information is helpful to consumers as well.
- Lemon law, Massachusetts Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation
Provides basic provisions of the new, leased, used, and failed inspection lemon laws. Information about private party sales, eligibility to receive compensation and applying for arbitration as well as a sample of final opportunity to repair letter.
- Purchasing a used car? Here’s what the lemon law means for you, Mass Consumer Affairs Blog, 2015
Provides "tips on how you can get the right car and be protected under the Lemon Law."
Limited use and low speed vehicles
- MGL, c.90, §§ 1F-1I Low speed vehicles law
Mechanic's garage and stored vehicle (garageman's) liens
- MGL c.255, § 25 Garage keepers lien
- MGL c.255, § 26 Enforcement of lien
- Involuntary transfers. Registry of Motor Vehicles.
Provides more information on Mechanic’s garage and stored vehicle liens. "To transfer ownership, a copy of the court order is always required."
- Automobile recalls, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Provides recall information, including vehicle and equipment campaigns from 1966 to present
Chapter 93A rights and remedies, 3rd ed., MCLE, looseleaf, chapter 9.
The law of chapter 93A (Mass. practice v.52), Thomson/West, 2007 with supplement, section 9.3.
|Last updated:||April 26, 2019|