A Massachusetts consumer guide to shopping rights, Office of Consumer Affairs.
Explains laws that protect consumers so you can make informed decisions about your purchases.
Laws and regulations
- MGL c.255D, § 10A Discrimination against cash buyers
- MGL c.93, § 68D Credit services
- MGL c.93, § 48 Door to door sales
- MGL c.93, § 81 Health clubs
- MGL c.183B, § 38 Time shares
- 16 CFR 429 Federal cooling off rule
- MGL c.255D, § 1 Gift certificate defined
- MGL c.93, § 14S Store credits must be valid at least 7 years
- MGL c.200A, § 5D Gift certificates and cards must be valid at least 7 years; Dates must be clearly indicated
- 12 CFR 205.20 Restricts dormancy, inactivity, or service fees for certain prepaid products, including gift cards, and prohibits the sale or issuance of such products if they have an expiration date of less than 5 years.
- MGL c.136, § 16 Retail stores Sunday and holiday opening
- MGL c.94, §§ 184B-184E Grocery items:
- § 184B Definitions
- § 184C Price disclosure and display on items offered for sale by food store or food department
- § 184D Inspection of food stores and food departments for compliance with Secs. 184B to 184E; violations and fines; consumer complaint of noncompliance
- § 184E Conversion from individual item pricing system to consumer price scanner system; operation and inspection of consumer price scanner system
- 940 CMR 3.13 Non-grocery items
Lay away plans
- 940 CMR 6.06 Availability, rain checks
- 204 CMR 2.04(3) Alcoholic beverage return
- 940 CMR 3.13 Return and cancellation
- 940 CMR 6.12 All sales final return policy
- 940 CMR 6.05 Sales and price comparison
- MGL c. 64H § 6A Sales tax holiday weekend
- 830 CMR 64H1.8 Sales tax holiday
- 830 CMR 64H1.4 Discounts, coupons, rebates
- MGL c.93, § 43 Unsolicited merchandise may be considered a gift
Consumer education and resources, Mass. Office of Consumer Affairs
Links to consumer guide to shopping rights and scams, consumer protection law, and options for resolving a consumer complaint.
Massachusetts blue laws, Dept. of Labor and Workforce Development
Includes links to the laws themselves, as well as an overview, which explains the rules for opening on Sundays and holidays.
Online shopping, Federal Trade Commission
Tips for consumers when making purchases online.
Shopping 101, Mass. Office of Consumer Affairs
Links to blog posts by the Office of Consumer Affairs on topics related to shopping and returns.
Consumer law, 3rd ed. (Mass. Practice v. 35 - 36A), Thomson Reuters, 2010 with supplement.
- Advertising – chapter 2
- Miscellaneous products or services (clothing, health club contracts, travel service, etc.) – chapter 30
- Retail Practices – Chapter 3
- Warranties – Chapter 6
|Last updated:||July 23, 2021|