|Governor Charlie Baker
Table of Contents
WHEREAS, state government has a responsibility to effectively, efficiently and equitably promote economic growth through education programs, workforce skills trainings, employment opportunities, and business development services;
WHEREAS, successfully promoting effective, efficient and equitable economic growth depends in large part on the extent to which the Executive Offices of Labor and Workforce Development, Education and Housing and Economic Development work together to align and coordinate their programs, policies, and functions; and
WHEREAS, the Commonwealth’s different regions have varying industries and therefore have varying needs to support, train and educate their respective workforces;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Charles D. Baker, Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution as Supreme Executive Magistrate, Part 2, c. 2, § 1, Art. 1, do hereby order as follows:
Section 1. There is hereby established within the Office of the Governor a Workforce Skills Cabinet (the “Cabinet") to advise the Governor and align the programs and policies of the Executive Offices of Labor and Workforce Development, Education, and Housing and Economic Development to improve workforce skills and job readiness to meet the varying needs of employers in the Commonwealth’s regions.
Section 2. The Cabinet shall be chaired by the Secretary of the Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development. The Cabinet shall also include the Secretary of the Executive Office of Education, the Secretary of the Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development, a representative of the Office of the Governor, and any other person whom the Governor or Secretary of Labor and Workforce Development may designate from time to time.
Section 3. There shall be a Director of Education and Workforce Development within the Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development. The Director shall serve as the point person in facilitating alignment, collaboration, strategic planning and joint execution among the Executive Offices of Labor and Workforce Development, Education, and Housing and Economic Development, and shall also serve as staff to the Cabinet.
Section 4. The Cabinet shall meet at least monthly and shall create and implement a strategy to develop workforce skills to meet the varying needs of employers in the Commonwealth’s regions, today and in the future, by:
- Soliciting input from individuals; businesses; and public, quasi-public, private and community-based organizations regarding the goals, objectives and strategic actions of the Cabinet;
- Identifying and implementing, by region, alignment improvements for existing state policies, programs and resources to improve workforce skills and job readiness;
- Recommending and implementing, by region, new state policies, programs and resources to improve workforce skills and job readiness;
- Recommending and implementing, by region, improvements to vocational and other educational opportunities to meet the present and evolving needs of employers; and
- Developing metrics and targets to measure and report on the outcomes of Cabinet-sponsored programs and policies.
Section 5. All departments, agencies, boards, commissions or other governmental entities subject to the Governor’s control shall provide assistance to the Cabinet by sharing information and expertise, as requested.
Section 6. This Executive Order shall continue in effect until amended, superseded or revoked by subsequent Executive Order.
Given at the Executive Chamber in Boston this 26th day of February in the year of our Lord two thousand fifteen and of the Independence of the United States of America two hundred thirty-nine.