|Issuer:||Michael S. Dukakis|
|Mass Register:||No. 633|
Table of Contents
WHEREAS, the Commonwealth faces a critical need for housing for low and moderate income persons.
WHEREAS, the provision of such housing requires coordinated public and private investment and a broad base of public support.
WHEREAS, the development of such housing also depends upon the participation and support of local public officials and community leaders.
WHEREAS, the effectiveness of the Commonwealth's efforts to develop low and moderate income housing depends in large part upon the responsiveness of state housing programs to such public support.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Michael S. Dukakis, Governor of the Commonwealth, by virtue of the authority vested in me as supreme executive magistrate, do hereby order as follows:
SECTION I - ESTABLISHMENT OF THE PARTNERSHIP
The Massachusetts Housing Partnership (the "Partnership") is hereby established within the Executive Office of Communities and Development (EOCD) as a statewide initiative to expand the development and preservation of low and moderate income housing through public/private partnerships.
SECTION II - PURPOSES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Massachusetts Housing Partnership and its Board of Directors (as established pursuant to Section III) shall have the following purposes and responsibilities:
- to support the development and preservation of low and moderate income housing through local public/private partnerships;
- to formally recognize and support local housing partnerships and to develop criteria for such recognition;
- to provide technical assistance to local housing partnerships, local public officials, and housing developers in support of low and moderate income housing production;
- to ensure that state housing programs are responsive to local housing partnerships and to locally-based housing initiatives;
- to seek broad-based support from and involvement by the private sector in the development of low and moderate income housing;
- to develop and implement new policies and programs that promote innovation in the development of low and moderate income housing and which respond to unmet housing needs;
- to utilize the Massachusetts Housing Partnership Fund (established pursuant to Chapter 405 of the Acts of 1985) and other public and private resources that may be made available to the Partnership in a manner consistent with this order; and,
- to meet at least quarterly with the Governor and to advise him specifically on the activities of the partnership and generally on issues of housing policy.
SECTION III - BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The partnership shall be governed by a Board of Directors (the "MHP Board") consisting of forty members appointed by the Governor with the advice of the Secretary of Communities and Development (the "Secretary"). In addition, the Governor, the Secretary, the Executive Director of the Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency, and the three bank nominees to the Board of Directors of the Massachusetts Housing Partnership Fund shall be ex officio members of the Board.
SECTION III - BOARD OF DIRECTORS (continued)
The MHP Board shall include the following members appointed to two-year terms: three lenders, five housing or real estate developers, three representatives of non-profit community organizations, three housing, consumer or low-income advocates, two business leaders, a state Senator and state Representative, and a representative of organized labor. Twelve members and alternates shall be appointed to the MHP Board for one- year terms on a regional basis based upon annual election by local housing partnerships recognized by the Board pursuant to Section II(b). The remaining members of the MHP Board shall be appointed to one or two-year terms.
SECTION IV - BYLAWS
The Board shall annually elect a chair, vice chair and secretary and shall adopt bylaws to govern the election of officers, the conduct of meetings, and the recognition of local housing partnerships.
SECTION V - DIRECTIVE TO STATE AGENCIES
State agencies within the Executive Office of Communities and Development shall be responsive, to the greatest extent consistent with their other powers and responsibilities, to recommendations made by and policies duly adopted by the Partnership. The Executive Office of Communities and Development shall provide staffing and administrative support to the Partnership and shall seek similar support from other state agencies.
SECTION VI - AMENDMENT
This order shall remain in effect until amended, superseded or terminated by subsequent Executive Order.
Given at the Executive Chamber in Boston this eleventh day of April, in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and ninety, and of the independence of the United States of America two hundred and thirteen.
Michael S. Dukakis, Governor
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Michael Joseph Connolly
Secretary of the Commonwealth