|Issuer:||Michael S. Dukakis|
|Mass Register:||No. 505|
|Rescinded by:||Executive Order 321|
|Revoked by:||Executive Order 383|
Table of Contents
WHEREAS, it is the policy and intent of this Administration to promote and facilitate the fullest possible participation by all citizens in state government; and
WHEREAS, minority human service providers frequently face special and inordinately difficult problems in achieving viable economic status; and
WHEREAS, minority human service providers are under-represented among the organizations contracting with state agencies to provide social, health, rehabilitative, and special educational services to citizens, especially those in the minority community; and
WHEREAS, state agencies are mandated by Executive Order 237, concerning Minority Business Development, to take affirmative steps to encourage the development and viability of minority human service providers, among others; and
WHEREAS, representatives of the minority community, together with representatives of appropriate state agencies, have developed and created as a private non-profit corporation the Human Resource Center, Inc., to promote communication and coordination between various minority communities, minority and other human service providers, state agencies, and sources of financial and technical assistance, to improve the technical capacity of existing minority human service providers, and to expand the pool of qualified minority human service providers which can provide such services to state agencies; and
WHEREAS, the Human Resource Center, Inc., can only successfully achieve those goals with the active participation and counsel of state officials whose agencies provide such services;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Michael S. Dukakis, Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Supreme Executive Magistrate, do hereby issue this Order creating the Human Resource Center Advisory Council as a necessary step to promote and support the fullest participation by minority human service providers in the economy of the Commonwealth and the opportunities created through state government activities.
- The Human Resource Center Advisory Council (hereinafter the "Council)", is hereby established.
- The members of the council shall be appointed by the Governor, who shall designate one member as chairperson, and shall include;
- The Secretary of the Executive Office of Administration and Finance or his designee;
- The Secretary of the Executive Office of Human Services or his designee;
- The Secretary of the Executive Office of Elder Affairs or his designee;
- The Secretary of the Executive Office of Economic Affairs or his designee;
- The Commissioner of the Department of Mental Health or his designee;
- The Commissioner of the Department of Social Services or his designee;
- The Commissioner of the Department of Public Health or his designee;
- The Commissioner of the Department of Youth Services or his designee;
- The Chairperson of the Rate Setting Commission or his designee;
- The Commissioner of Education or his designee;
- The Director of the State Office of Minority Business Assistance or his designee;
- The Director of the State Office of Affirmative Action or his designee;
- The president of Roxbury Community College; and
- A designee of the Governor.
- The purpose of the Council shall be to advise the Human Resource Center, Inc. ("the Center") on the policies and procedures governing the purchase of service systems in human services, to keep the Center informed of changes in such policies and procedures, and to alert the Center to the special needs of Commonwealth agencies, in order to maximize the opportunities for minority providers.
- The Council shall meet on a regular basis and shall meet with the Board of Directors of the Center at least quarterly.
- The Council shall submit, in January of each year beginning in 1987, an annual report to the Governor concerning progress toward achieving the goals of the Center, and toward full implementation of Executive Order 237 in the purchase of social, health, rehabilitative, and special educational services by Commonwealth agencies from minority human service providers.
- All state agencies affected by the efforts and goals of the Human Resource Center, Inc., and the goals of Executive Order 237 are hereby directed to cooperate fully with the Council by providing any relevant information and assistance requested by the Council to carry out the purposes for which it is created.
Given at the Executive Chamber in Boston this 23rd day of January in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and eighty six, and of the Independence of the United States of America two hundred and ten.
Michael S. Dukakis, Governor
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Michael Joseph Connolly
Secretary of the Commonwealth