Table of Contents
(Superseding E.O. 247)
WHEREAS, there is a need to maintain a comprehensive system to provide occupational information to planners, researchers and administrators of the Commonwealth; and
WHEREAS, employment and training information must be provided to administrators of the Commonwealth in order to evaluate, plan, and allocate resources for educational, employment, and training programs; and
WHEREAS, there is a need to coordinate the development of this information to avoid duplication of effort and to fully utilize available information and coordinate resources; and
WHEREAS, Public Law 98-524, amending the Vocational Education Act of 1963, provides for and requires that a State Occupational Information Coordinating Committee perform these important responsibilities with funds available to it from the National Occupational Information Coordinating Committee; and
WHEREAS, the enactment by the United States Congress of said Public Law 98-524, provides for and requires the establishment by the Commonwealth of a State Occupational Information Coordinating Committee composed of representatives of Massachusetts Board of Education, the Massachusetts Division of Employment Security, the State Job Matching Coordinating Council, the agency administering the Vocational Rehabilitation Programs and the agency representing State economic development programs; and
WHEREAS, the enactment of Public Law 97-300, requires the designation of an agency to be responsible for oversight and management of a statewide comprehensive labor market and occupational supply and demand information system:
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Michael S. Dukakis, Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Supreme Executive Magistrate, do hereby order as follows:
- The Massachusetts Occupational Information Coordinating Committee, hereinafter referred to as the Committee, is hereby established and the Committee is designated as the State agency to perform the functions and fulfill the responsibilities of the State Occupational Information Coordinating Committee, which Committee is denominated and which functions and responsibilities are set out in Public Law 98-524.
- The Committee shall be composed of:
- The Associate Commissioner of Education for Occupational Education, representing the Massachusetts Board of Education;
- The Secretary of Economic Affairs, or his designee(s), representing the State Job Training Coordinating Council and State economic development programs;
- The Director of the Division of Employment Security, representing the Division of Employment Security;
- The Commissioner of Rehabilitation representing the agency administering the Vocational Rehabilitation Program.
- For the purposes of administration, the Committee shall be a State agency in and reporting to the Director of the Massachusetts Division of Employment Security.
- The Massachusetts Division of Employment Security is designated as the lead State agency in Massachusetts for labor market information and will serve as the Committee's fiscal agent, to manage and receive funds available to the Committee from the National Occupational Information Coordinating Committee pursuant to applicable portions of Public Law 98-524.
- The Committee shall provide for such advisory or associate members as the members of the Committee shall deem appropriate.
- The Committee shall develop and implement an occupational information system in the Commonwealth which will meet the common needs for information for the planning for and the operation of programs of the Massachusetts Board of Education assisted under the Vocational Education Act of 1963 as amended and of the administering agencies under the Job Training and Partnership act of 1984, and other similarly interested public agencies.
- The Committee will serve the purposes of applicable provisions of Public Law 98-524 and any successor legislation, consistent with the requirements of state law.
- The Committee may employ an Executive Director and such other staff as it may require to perform its functions. The Executive Director and the staff employed by the Committee shall be appointed by the Director of the Division of Employment Security upon the approval of the Governor and of the Committee.
- The time and place of meetings of the Committee shall be as provided for by the rules of the Committee.
- Executive Orders Nos. 140 and 207 are hereby revoked.
Given at the Executive Chamber in Boston this 5th day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and eighty-five, and of the Independence of the United States of America two hundred and nine.
Michael S. Dukakis, Governor
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Michael Joseph Connolly
Secretary of the Commonwealth