Mass. General Laws c.190B § 5-102

Facility of payment or delivery

Table of Contents

This is an unofficial version of a Massachusetts General Law.

Section 5-102

(a) Any person under a duty to pay or deliver money or personal property to a minor may perform the duty, in amounts not exceeding $5,000 a year, by paying or delivering the money or property to:

(1) the minor;

(2) any person having the care and custody of the minor with whom the minor resides;

(3) a guardian of the minor;

(4) a custodian under the uniform transfers to minors act or a custodial trustee under the uniform custodial trust act; or

(5) a financial institution as a deposit in a state or federally insured interest bearing account or certificate in the sole name of the minor with notice of the deposit to the minor.

(b) If the person making payment or delivery knows that a conservator has been appointed or proceedings for appointment of a conservator of the estate of the minor are pending, the person may make payment or delivery only to the conservator.

(c) Persons receiving money or property for a minor under subsection (a)(2) are obligated to apply the money to the support, care, education, health or welfare of the minor, but may not pay themselves except by way of reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses for necessary goods and services. Any excess sums shall be preserved for future support, care, education, health or welfare of the minor and any balance not so used and any property received for the minor shall be turned over to the minor when majority is attained.

(d) A person who pays or delivers money or property in accordance with this section is not responsible for the proper application thereof.

Contact   for Mass. General Laws c.190B § 5-102

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.